Working within a strong department alongside outstanding teachers, the Head of Science will promote Science across the school and inspire girls to achieve academic success.
Reporting to the Headteacher, you will be accountable for pupil progress and departmental development
· Provide strong academic leadership within the science department
· To be responsible for leading the department’s curriculum planning, schemes and handbook, incorporating whole school policies as appropriate
· To oversee all departmental staff and performance reviews
· To track individual pupils with appropriate action if necessary
· To be responsible and accountable for the department budget
Learning and Teaching
· Teach outstanding Chemistry to GCSE
· To set pupils in appropriate teaching groups and to allocate staff to those groups
· To assess and monitor pupil progress taking action if intervention is required
· To encourage girls to pursue science courses in post 16 places of study
· To organise and oversee Science club and revision classes
· Create and maintain a positive environment which secures good teaching, effective learning, high standards of attainment and good discipline across the department.
· Contribute to and promote the development of a positive school ethos and achievement of the seven school values.
· Contribute to the extra-curricular programme offering at least one club per term.
· Perform additional duties and tasks required for the effective operation of the school as directed by the Headteacher
For a full job description and person specification please see the attached files.
Interviews are likely to take place 2nd or 3rd October 2018.
Manor House School is committed to safeguarding the welfare of children and young people for which all staff share responsibility. We have an extensive policy regarding safer recruitment practices which ensures those unsuitable for working with children are identified at the initial stages. All staff in regulated activity with pupils are subject to the standard pre-employment checks including an enhanced DBS check. Volunteers and visitors are also subject to identity checks.