Head of Science
Coloma Convent Girls’ School is an oversubscribed and successful 11-18 all girls comprehensive school which has been consistently recognised as one of the top performing non-selective secondary schools in the country. In December 2022, The Times released its ‘Parent Power Schools Guide’ to the top 1600 UK schools based on 2022 exam results. Coloma was ranked 2nd in the best girls’ comprehensive category and 39th in the best comprehensive school category.
We are seeking to appoint a well-qualified, enthusiastic and dedicated Head of Science to lead the three science specialisms. Coloma offers its students pathways to either Combined and Separate Science GCSE in KS4 and has large cohorts across the science subjects at A-level and BTEC. Previous post-holders have successfully gone on to school leadership roles in the past at Coloma and other schools.
The successful candidate will:
- Line manage the individual subject leaders in terms of teaching and learning strategy, performance management and assessment.
- Be able to teach all sciences across the age and ability range up to KS4 and their specialism at KS5 (preferably Biology or Chemistry).
- Have excellent subject knowledge, written and verbal communication skills.
- Understand the importance of monitoring student progress and effective intervention.
- Enjoy working collaboratively with colleagues across the science faculty.
- A community which is on a rapid journey of improvement with a genuine commitment to being even better.
- A school with a strong commitment to your professional development.
- A working environment focused on Teaching and Learning and raising standards for all.
- The opportunity to work in a team where your skills, enthusiasm and hard work will be appreciated.
- The opportunity to work within the largest cosmopolitan centre outside of Central London, undergoing substantial redevelopment, growth and change.
- A school that invests in enrichment and extra-curricular activities.
Applications will be considered from both existing Team Leaders/Heads of Department as well as experienced teachers who are looking for career progression. Coloma welcomes applications from colleagues of all faiths or non-faith backgrounds who will actively support the ethos and values of the school.
Coloma Convent Girls’ School is proud to be part of the South East London Catholic Academy Trust (www.selcat.org.uk), which has a clear vision with Christ at the centre of all our work, leading to the development of a family of schools that work equitably, collaboratively and in communion to serve the children, families and staff in our care. Our schools are remarkable places of learning and love.
For more information about Coloma, please visit www.coloma.croydon.sch.uk or contact Mrs V Davis, Headteacher’s PA, via email: firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries.
To apply, please complete our application form via the apply button.
Closing date: 10am, 17th February 2023.
Applications will be considered on receipt and interviews may occur at any stage. Coloma reserves the right to commence or complete the recruitment process at any time.
Please note: We do not accept applications via agencies.
The school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share the commitment. All appointments will be subject to a satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure Barring Service check.