WETHERBY PREPARATORY SCHOOL
MARYLEBONE – W1
Boys’ School (7 – 13 years, 385 on roll). Independent Preparatory (IAPS
HEAD OF SCIENCE
We seek to recruit, for September 2020, either an existing science teacher or a talented practitioner who would like to develop their career in this direction. Applications are welcome from those with appropriate independent or maintained sector experience, including secondary schools. Outstanding Newly Qualified Teachers may be considered.
Science is taught to every boy in the school in three fully equipped Science laboratories. The Science Department is supported by a full time technician and substantial departmental budget.
Remuneration: Alpha Plus Group Salary Scale
Please view the school website for more information about the school and to download the application form and view the job description.
Please email applications firstname.lastname@example.org or post to:
Wetherby Preparatory School, Bryanston Square, London W1H 2EA – 020 7535 3520
Closing date for applications: 24 February 2020
Only those candidates who have been shortlisted will be responded to.
Alpha Plus Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and as an employee of APG you are expected to share this commitment. The protection of our pupils’ welfare is the responsibility of all staff within APG Schools and individuals are expected to conduct themselves in a way that reflects the principles of our organisation.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
The Head of Science will be required to:
1. Prepare schemes of work and a syllabus of Science throughout the School and to monitor the teaching of Science within the school, Year 3 to 8;
2. Organise and attend curriculum meetings with respect to Science throughout the school and liaise with the pre-preparatory school, Reception to Year 3;
3. Maintain the policy for the teaching of Science and related issues throughout the school;
4. Teach Science up to and including Common Entrance and Public School Scholarship levels;
5. Oversee the ordering and maintenance of textbooks and related equipment;
6. Oversee the maintenance of the Science laboratories and ensure that safe practice is being followed;
7. Ensure that correct procedures and safe practice is being followed by all teachers involved in Science teaching and use of the laboratories;
8. Use interesting, inspiring and innovative displays;
9. Line manage the Science Technician;
10. Attend INSET as required by the Headmaster or Deputy Head;
11. Attend Staff Meetings, Parents’ Evenings and any other functions as required by the Headmaster or Deputy Head;
12. Undertake a certain amount of administration and other tasks related to the post either at the direction of the Headmaster or Deputy Head or by using his or her initiative;
13. Play a full part in the life of the school and undertake pastoral/supervisory duties as required.
14. Abide by the objectives and targets of the school, and follow the procedures and practices utilised in all aspects of the work, including computerised and manual systems and the maintenance of relevant records.
15. Fulfil personal requirements where appropriate with regard to school policies and procedures, particularly safeguarding, health and safety, equal opportunities, customer care and promotion of the school’s core values.
The successful candidate should possess the following experience, qualifications and qualities:
a) A university degree and/or recognised teaching qualification;
b) Experience at teaching Science to Common Entrance and Public School Scholarship level is preferable;
c) Experience of organising and supporting colleagues with the teaching of Science;
d) Enormous energy and commitment for the post and the ability to work in harmony with colleagues;
e) Excellent organisational skills;
f) Good health and an excellent record of attendance;
g) Sympathy with, and a readiness to support, the school’s educational ethos;
h) An ability to use computers as a teaching resource and for personal administration;
i) A good sense of humour.
The salary for the post of Head of Science is set according to the Specialist Scale of the Alpha Plus Group.
(You) have responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young people for whom you are responsible, or with whom you come into contact in the school. It is your responsibility to adhere to and ensure compliance with the school’s Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy at all times. If at any time you identify any instance that a child or young person is at risk you must report your concerns immediately to the Designated Safety Officer, DSO or the Head.
Note: This job description is indicative of the duties and responsibilities of the post but does not form part of any contract of employment. All jobs within the school evolve over time and their features vary from year to year.