St. Nicholas School is seeking to appoint a Head of Science to guide the faculty up to IB Diploma level with a commitment to inquiry, student autonomy, project-based learning and interdisciplinary collaboration. Experience teaching the latest IB Diploma courses is a requirement for the Head of Science position. Regardless of experience candidates will
commit to the IB Diploma and be willing to contribute to Theory of Knowledge, Extended Essays and CAS. More information about St. Nicholas School can be found at:
The department works with approximately 250 learners from Grade 6 to12. Each year group has between 30 and 50 learners with an ideal group size of 15-18. Science is blocked in the timetable to encourage collaboration between groups. Each year group uses a single Google Classroom to further reinforce this collaboration.
The faculty counts on seven teachers, a second in Dept and one/ two technicians. Six purpose-designed laboratories with access to ample resources, including, online books, consumables, software licences, Chromebooks, data loggers, projectors and TVs and (normally) reliable WiFi connection. The department has access to a well-resourced maker space with a dedicated technician, kits, tools, a laser cutter and a 3D printer. There is an annual material budget which is set and managed by the Head of Faculty.
The Science faculty is collegial and well-managed. The current team shares ideas, resources and experiences to create and sustain a collaborative ethos. In Grades 6 to 9 the department has designed an inquiry-based, progressive, thematic course that promotes understanding and transfer of knowledge and skills in meaningful situations. In years 9 and 10 the course is based on IGCSE Coordinated Science. In Grades 11 and 12 Biology, Chemistry and Physics are offered at Standard and Higher Level. Results at IGCSE and Diploma are very good. Science is compulsory in all years from Grades 6 to 12 and all learners take at least one science at IB Diploma. ICT provision in the department is very good with 6 purpose-built labs with good technology access and close to 1:1 Chromebook provision. The department has led the school in its effective use of Google Classroom to organise resources and tasks.
You must meet the following requirements for a visa or working permit:
- 3 years teaching experience.
- A degree related to subject taught.
- Bachelors with Teaching Qualification, PGCE or PGDE or similar teaching qualification.
- Proficient in English.
- Should hold a valid passport from either Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom or United States.
- References, Medical check, Criminal background check
- Over 25 and below 65 years of age