The International School of Milan is seeking to appoint a Head of Science to join us in September 2018
Candidates should be well-qualified, committed to high standards, interested in using innovative approaches to learning and enthusiastic about promoting international understanding.
As interviews will be held on a rolling basis via Skype and face-to-face, we encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible.
Founded in 1958, ISM caters for over 900 students from more than 60 nationalities. Our present campus opened in September 2013, incorporates a theatre, swimming pool and full-size gymnasium as well as specialist classrooms, labs, libraries, arts and music areas. All of our sections are fully authorised for International Baccalaureate (IB) programmes – Primary Years Programme (PYP) from Kindergarten to Grade 6; Middle Years Programme (MYP) from Grades 7 to 11; Diploma Programme (DP) in Grades 12 and 13. ISM is the most established IB world school in Italy and has an excellent record of results in the Diploma averaging over 35. Wi-Fi is enabled throughout the campus to support the school’s 1:1 learning project, with every student having access to a personal tablet or laptop.
ISM is one of several very successful Italian schools belonging to Inspired, a worldwide network of premium schools offering global best practice and professional development.
Our host city
Milan has long been considered the dynamo of the Italian economy and the country’s most cosmopolitan and forward-looking city. Located near the heart of Europe, it is extremely well-connected with three major airports and easy road and rail inks across the country and the continent. Although Milan is a busy commercial centre, the artistic and cultural heritage of Italy is prominent, from galleries and theatres, to its fame as a global focus for fashion, design, nightlife, cuisine and lifestyle. There is a history of sporting excellence and its location near the mountains, lakes and the Mediterranean Sea make it ideal for sporting activities as well as its renowned professional teams.
We are seeking to appoint a Head of Science to join the Secondary School science team. The sciences are booming at ISM of late, having experienced a significant increase in science courses in the IB Diploma as well as related undergraduate applications. Our superb science team is made up of six teachers and a science technician, who operate across a suite of five laboratories. This role will primarily involve the teaching of a Science subject at Diploma level (Biology would be a distinct advantage) as well as the ability to teach a more general science course comprised of elements of Biology, Chemistry and Physics in the 11-16 age range.
The initial contract will be for a period of two years, after which there will be the possibility of converting the contract into a permanent position of employment.
- to be in possession of a university degree in a related subject and an appropriate teaching qualification;
- to have had recent experience teaching the subject within the 11-19 age range;
- to be enthusiastic and passionate teachers/leaders. A love of the subject and the ability to convey this successfully to students is essential.
- to be ready to lead a team of excellent science teachers with a clear focus on excellent outcomes for students.
- to be an EU passport holder or already be in possession of a valid visa that enables to work in Italy.
Previous experience with IB programmes is not required and official IB training will be offered, together with relocation assistance.
Why work with us?
- A knowledgeable and talented staff body committed to supporting the very best in student achievement.
- IB professional development during employment
- A competitive salary
- Support settling in to Italy with our Relocation Agents
- The largest international campus in Italy and a school where teachers are respected as professionals and afforded autonomy to teach in the most innovative and effective ways.
- A course of free Italian lessons for new staff
- Cooked lunches provided free daily.
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements should send an application containing the following to Ms Alessandra De Carlo, Head of HR at firstname.lastname@example.org:
The successful candidate will be expected to begin work at the end of August 2018, before which date a criminal records check will need to be completed as part of our child safeguarding policy.
More information about the school can be found on our website at: http://internationalschoolsgroup.it/school/milan. The school is one of several very successful Italian schools belonging to ISE (International School of Europe) which in turn is part of Inspired (www.inspirededu.co.uk), a worldwide network of premium schools offering global best practice and professional development.