Closing date: Monday 19 March 2018, 8.00am
Interviews to beheld week commencing: 19 March 2018
Surbiton High Boys’ Preparatory School is part of United Learning, a large and growing group of schools aiming to offer a life changing education to children and young people across England. Schools within United Learning work as a team and achieve more by sharing than any single school could. Our intranet site, United Hub, is just one example of how we share resource and communicate across sites, helping to simplify work processes and manage workloads for an improved work-life balance. We reward our staff: with good career opportunities, better pay, benefits, and ultimately the satisfaction of supporting schools in their quest to give every child the opportunity to succeed and reach their full potential.
To lead the PE Department in achieving outstanding teaching and learning and to inspire, encourage and empower our pupils to achieve their very best in the subject of PE and Sports.
- Lead by example - model outstanding teaching and learning, and be fully involved in curricular and co-curricular PE.
- Monitor the quality of teaching and learning in the core curriculum and all sporting activities, through regular observations of department staff and pupil feedback.
- Challenge teachers who underperform and use coaching strategies to help them improve, working closely with SLT line manager to ensure that correct support is provided.
- Coach and support members of the Department to quality assure skill/knowledge base along with willingness to improve/develop is high.
- Track and monitor student progress and achievement within the subject area across all Key Stages using baseline data.
- Work collaboratively with the Department on continually developing and updating the Schemes of Work, ensuring a mix of National Curriculum and United Learning KPIs.
- Create alignment with the School’s values and ethos to ensure Departmental ownership of whole school strategic development.
- Promote the School’s ethos of May Love Always Lead Us and the Best in Everyone
- Promote the School and its courses and activities, including participation in external and internal marketing activities.
- Uphold the good reputation of the School and of United Learning with students, parents, other schools and in general..
- Ensure effective Department communication, both informally and through regular Departmental meetings.
- Monitor, review and promote staff development (including their own) and the induction of new colleagues, coordinating mentoring, training and support for all colleagues as appropriate.
- Ensure that both subject-specific and general requirements of Health and Safety policies are met, designating a member of the team to oversee this, to ensure efficient, safe, secure and attractive use of Departmental accommodation, equipment and materials
The successful candidate will be likely to fit the following profile:
- Good Honours degree
- A postgraduate teaching qualification (QTS desirable but not essential)
- Appropriate coaching qualifications in a range of sports
- Evidence of further relevant professional development
- The ability to lead a team in a successful and dynamic School
- Have a vision for and the ability to translate the Surbiton High School strategy into reality
- Excellent organisational, administrative and ICT skills
- A proven track record of delivering high standards of coaching, learning and teaching in all sporting and PE activities
- Evidence of successful, inspiring and innovative teaching at all levels
- Experience of leading and collaborating with colleagues
- Up-to-date knowledge of successful and innovative teaching and the latest curriculum developments and initiatives
- High levels of personal and professional integrity and the ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality
- Personal warmth to gain the confidence of pupils, staff and parents
- High standards of personal presence and presentation and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate concisely and sensitively, both orally and in writing, to a variety of audiences
- An enthusiastic team player with strong leadership qualities
- A reflective and flexible approach and the ability to think creatively and imaginatively
- High expectations for pupil attainment, personal development and conduct
Surbiton High School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Please note that the School reserves the right to appoint at any stage during the recruitment process.
For any queries relating to the role or your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please apply online by clicking on the following link: https://unitedlearning.current-vacancies.com/Jobs/Advert/1180342?cid=1567
Where teaching is better shared
United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12. Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB.