Head of Year Appointment
To commence: September 2020
Salary: Main Scale / Upper Pay Spine (+TLR 2c)
Closing date for applications: Wednesday 22nd January
Interview: Thursday 30th January 2020
Thank you for your interest in the Head of Year position at Salesian. I would like to take this opportunity to share a few thoughts with you on the role and what it involves.
Salesian is a Catholic school that strives for three aims:
• To support the students in gaining the best qualifications they are capable of
• To provide them with the skills and experiences and opportunities in order to thrive in tomorrow’s world
• To promote Gospel values and support the students to find their vocations by becoming the people God wants them to be
Each year group contains 280 students and the Head of Year is responsible for achieving these three aims with every student. The Head of Year takes ownership of all aspects of the students’ education, including:
• Ensuring target grades are met
• Monitoring standards of Learning & Teaching
• Ensuring that children are positively engaged in all aspects of school life
• Developing the students’ spirituality
There is obviously a large part to play in ensuring the students’ pastoral well-being and a huge emphasis on working with parents, teachers and other members of staff in the school. The Head of Year is also expected to lead a team of ten tutors and plan for and implement the pastoral curriculum.
Essentially what we are looking for is someone to act as Headteacher for a section of the school.
Whilst the successful applicant need not necessarily be Catholic, they would have to be comfortable with leading worship and promoting the Salesian ethos. It goes without saying that only teachers with a proven track record in the classroom would be considered.
Heads of Year usually stay with their Year group as the children move through the school. The successful applicant will start as a Head of Year in Key Stage 3 in September 2020.
The Head of Year position is a high profile role at Salesian School and several previous experienced Heads of Year have been promoted to the Leadership Team. The post would certainly suit someone with ambitions for Assistant Headship.
If you would like to discuss any of these thoughts further or visit the school, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I look forward to receiving your application.