Heads of Year (2 Positions)
Start dates April 2019 and September 2019
TSAT T Scale (£25,750 - £39,964)
TLR 2c (Spot Salary £6385)
Appropriate remuneration and relocation allowances are available for a suitably qualified and experienced candidate.
Closing Date 23rd January 2019 Midday
Interviews 29th January 2019
Due to the recent growth of the school, we have two new opportunities for enthusiastic, committed and experienced Heads of Year at The Portsmouth Academy; one of the most improved secondary schools in the country (top 20% under the new progress measures).
We are part of the Thinking Schools Academy Trust, at the heart of which is the belief that the work we do must transform the life chances of our students. We believe that the best way to do this is to actively shape minds, attitudes and habits through a framework of cognitive education. The Head of Year is responsible for embedding this vision within their year group and ensuring that the highest standards in relation to attendance, behaviour and progress, are achieved.
As well enforcing and upholding the habits of excellence for staff and students, you will be responsible for the Personal Development curriculum for your year group; ensuring it meets the students’ needs and quality assuring the delivery by teachers. You will actively support teaching staff to develop their behaviour management skills and engage with the parents of your year group to ensure the best possible outcomes for them, championing and inspiring every child to make excellent progress.
The role will be supported by a full time non-teaching behaviour support officer and consists of a teaching load of 36 hours every two weeks.
What we can offer you:
• An excellent environment for learning and teaching.
• The Portsmouth Academy has undergone major refurbishment due to a £5.3 million pound investment. A further building phase will commence in 2019 including a state of the art new building with fantastic facilities to house, art music and drama.
• We place a strong emphasis on “Wellbeing for Staff” here at The Portsmouth Academy and were proud to receive the Wellbeing award at the recent Teach Portsmouth Awards. Our Wellbeing strategy consists of regular opportunities to participate in on site activities such as Pilates, Ceramics and Football each week.
• Progress is significantly above the national average in a range of subjects.
• Teachers are provided with above 10% PPA and they are designated allocated marking time.
• With an outstanding Leadership and Management team, we are focused on providing our staff with bespoke CPD tailored to the stage they are at in their career.
• The Academy operates a very clear behaviour structure and pupil’s conduct in lessons and around the school is excellent. – Ofsted 2017
• Support from across the Trust to help you deliver outstanding practice through resources, mentoring and school visits.
• We work closely with Teach Portsmouth, The Portsmouth Education Partnership and Portsmouth Teaching Schools Alliance
• The Trust holds regular CPD events.
• A 24/7 employee assistance programme which provides counselling and support / advice on a wide array of areas.
• Onsite parking free of charge.
If you are interested in this position and would like to find out more about The Portsmouth Academy and arrange a tour of the school. Please contact Sue Wood Executive PA on 023 9281 2822
Early applications are encouraged and we reserve the right to close the vacancy early if a suitable candidate is found.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.