Six 21 is a caring and ambitious sixth form set up to help students acquire the qualifications, knowledge, skills and experiences which will help them take on the world. We are looking for people who share this vision to join our growing team as Head of Year 12 and Head of Year 13. As these roles would be new this is an exciting opportunity for the right candidates to take the best existing sixth form pastoral practice but also reimagine the role without needing to conform to previous expectations.
We believe that in order for anyone to truly challenge themselves they need to feel safe; our heads of year’s primary duty will be to ensure that all students feel safe and that they belong within our community. This care will be enhanced by high expectations and ambitions for our students so that they leave us having achieved more than they thought they were capable of when they joined.
As mentioned above, we are looking for candidates who want to shape these roles but we envisage that key duties will include:
- Creating a culture of ‘belonging’ and ‘stepping up’ within the year group and wider sixth form
- Leading the year team to ensure pastoral support and the delivery of the ‘quest’ coaching curriculum is consistently of a high standard
- Working with the school attendance officer and year team to ensure exceptional attendance and punctualit
- Monitor attainment, progress and behaviour for the year group and work with colleagues and students as appropriate to ensure that all students are supported to make exceptional progress
- Delivery of assemblies and other duties as appropriate
- Form part of the strategic team in Six 21 and lead on an area of responsibility across the whole sixth form. This area will depend on the strengths and experiences of successful candidates but may include:
- Careers, university and other talks/experiences
- ‘Quest’ coaching curriculum planning over a two-year journey
School 21 has built strong foundations in a short period of time, confirmed by our Ofsted which was outstanding in all categories. There was strong recognition for the ethos and approach of the school:
"Pupils across the school make exceptional progress."
"Pupils have excellent attitudes to learning, impeccable manners and show respect for everyone.”
“Staff morale is exceptionally high. Teachers at the early stages of their career value the ‘fantastic’ professional development and opportunities to learn from each other. Those with more experience said that they have become much better teachers since joining the school.”
Through project-based learning "pupils achieve remarkable standards of work and demonstrated knowledge and skills at levels beyond those expected for their age group."
“Pupils talk and discuss with a maturity and confidence that is remarkable for their years."
The successful candidate will be:
- An excellent teacher and subject specialist
- Experienced at managing others and leading
- Skilled at fostering independent, student-led learning
- A creative and deep thinker about pedagogy
- Innovative in using new technology to enhance learning
- A collaborative planner, able to work across subject disciplines
- Interested in developing the growth of every child – head, heart and hand
ABOUT SCHOOL 21:
- 4 to 18 mixed, inclusive school in the heart of Stratford, Newham
- Cutting edge pedagogy and curriculum
- Small - only 75 children in each year group
- We have plans to set up two new schools in close proximity to School 21 which will give staff more opportunities to grow and develop
• Outstanding career development and exceptional CPD
• The chance to network with outstanding practitioners and learn from the best
• Collaborative working across the 4 to 18 school
• Leadership training and development opportunities
• A strong feedback culture so that teachers can develop in areas of their practice that
are important to them
• Every teacher being part of a team/circle that develops strategic practice
How to Apply
For more information see: www.school21.org.uk or e-mail Anne Shaker at email@example.com or call 020 8262 2121
To apply: Please visit the careers pages at www.school21.org.uk and complete an online application form.
Apply by: Wednesday, 24th April 2019
Likely interview date: Wednesday, 1st May 2019
Job start: September 2019
School 21 is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to safeguarding children.