We are looking to appoint a PA to the Head and Office Manager to provide secretarial and administrative support to the Headmaster and to supervise support staff on a daily basis.
This role is to cover maternity leave for a period of 6 to 12 months.
Personal Assistant responsibilities:
• Providing high quality and timely administrative support of a confidential nature.
• Ensuring that all visitors, internal and external, are welcomed in an appropriate manner
• Attending meetings as required by the Head and taking and distributing minutes as appropriate
• Liaising with the Head on behalf of staff as required
• Managing a complex diary, with confidence to make decisions without referral to the diary owner, always looking up to 12 months in advance and ensuring effective use of time
• Managing the Head’s diary and appointments. This will include liaising with parents, staff, Governors and outside organisations.
• Managing incoming/outgoing correspondence to ensure that information meets the needs of the recipients. This may include writing letters, briefing reports and any other communications, maintaining the appropriate tone and style.
• Opening all post addressed to the Head, distributing it to relevant persons for action and drafting responses for the Head where appropriate.
• Dealing with all initial approaches to the Head from staff or parents and ensuring that the Head is briefed to enable an appropriate response.
• Providing a high standard of secretarial service to the Head. This will include drafting and typing letters, minutes, meeting agendas, schedules and reports.
• Assisting the Head in the preparation of the Head’s report for Governor’s and Management Board meetings.
• Liaising with the School Registrar on all prospective parent visits involving the Head.
• Co-ordinating the organisation of the Head’s end of term report writing, in conjunction with the Senior Deputy Head and the Main Office to specific timescales.
• Arranging international and domestic travel including booking flights, visa administration, rail, taxis, and accommodation, and creation of detailed visit packs where necessary, ordering and processing currency and liaising with external agencies where appropriate.
• Arranging the Head’s travel and accommodation requirements for outside duty.
• Ensuring the accurate taking of minutes for all Governors’ sub-committee and Governor Board meetings for The Downs Malvern.
• Liaising with the Chair of Governors and the COO at Malvern College to ensure all minutes are produced and distributed in a timely manner and ensuring accurate signed copies of sub-committee meetings are kept on file.
• Sending invitations and pre reading material to those attending Governors’ sub-committee meetings.
• Arranging visits and ID badges for new Governors.
• Providing logistical and administrative support for the organisation of School events and functions. Working with the event lead to understand the scope of the event, managing all requirements and supporting delivery.
• Managing the Head’s social diary and liaising with the Catering Manager for all social events as appropriate.
• Attending and assisting with various School functions to include Speech Day at the request of the Head.
• Organising, managing and supporting the Head with all aspects of the annual Aquathlon.
Staff Management and Leadership:
• Providing effective leadership and line management to all admin and estates staff including the School Secretary, Estates and Grounds team, MIS Administrator and Finance Assistant
• Ensuring direct reports’ duties are being carried out to the school’s high standards and briefing the Head as appropriate
• Implementing and carrying out appraisals for the support staff in conjunction with the Director of Human Resources.
• Being the first point of contact for direct reports and undertake supervisory duties including induction, reporting sickness, approving annual leave and additional hours
• Supporting the Headmaster in the line management of support staff that report directly to him
• Acting as the first point of contact for internal and external stakeholders and ensure the smooth running of the office by reviewing and maintaining office systems and procedures in order to enhance, develop and implement effective delivery
• Ensuring that the Head’s office is equipped to function efficiently and that all equipment, stationery and other requirements are available as required
• In charge of all ordering on the School Credit Card, keeping appropriate finance records for this and liaising with the Finance Department at Malvern College as appropriate
• Liaising with the outside agency’s for the producing & printing of the school’s termly Calendar
• Managing the end of term and mid termly printing of reports
• Updating and organising school policies in conjunction with the Head
• Taking care of day to day operations for the Head and admin department
• Preparing and distributing the weekly school bulletins for Pre Prep and Prep
• Providing secretarial and administrative support to other members of the Head’s Senior Management Team as required
• Ensuring the school’s MIS system is current and updated when appropriate for pupil and parent contact details
• Managing the Head’s office and maintaining pupil files. Liaising with the Director of Human Resources in maintaining staff personnel files
• Ensuring the Head up to date and briefed on appropriate staff matters and school business
The Downs Malvern is a busy, vibrant and successful co-educational preparatory school for boarding and day children aged between 3 and 13 years, offering an outstanding preparatory education. The school is situated in extensive, beautiful and safe gr...