Opportunity: Rapidly developing school in Abuja, Nigeria which has a warm and friendly family atmosphere
Start date: August 2018
Experience: The successful applicant will have 8 - 10 years senior leadership experience, ideally, in an international school in Nigeria or Africa and have qualified from the UK. They will also have experience with the COBIS accreditation process. It would be desirable for the candidate to have a Masters in Leadership or an equivalent qualification.
Salary: To be discussed at interview
Benefits: Flight allowance: yearly, accommodation and utilities provided by school, visa costs, gym membership, car and driver, health cover
The school and role
Cradle to Crayon and Springhall British School is a well regarded international early years and primary school in Abuja, Nigeria. The school follows a structured programme of learning based on the Early Years Foundation Stage and National Curriculum for England and Wales, alongside the International Primary Curriculum. With a unique balance of work, rest and play and a wide range of extra-curricula activities, their students are able to learn in a comfortable and nurturing setting.
The school has a wonderful atmosphere and there is a genuine sense of ambition for all staff to develop a really great school. The school has excellent resources, purchased from around the globe, in order to give all staff and pupils the excellent learning environment that they deserve.
An exciting opportunity has arisen in a highly reputable Early Years and Primary school in Abuja, Nigeria for an innovative, creative Headteacher. The position is to start in August 2018 and would suit a strong leader who would relish the challenge of working in a highly dynamic and diverse environment.
The Head Teacher must:
- Have an excellent track record of leading teaching and learning
- Be dedicated to excellence in education.
- Have recent and relevant experience of the EYFS, British National Curriculum and the International Primary Curriculum.
- Have or be undertaking NPQH or equivalent.
- Have the ability to lead, inspire and motivate staff and pupils alike.
- Be able to lead curriculum development.
- Be able to demonstrate determination and commitment to sustained improvement.
- Be passionate about learning and teaching and believe in developing the true potential of all children from a wide range of backgrounds.
- Be an exemplary role model with strong leadership and organisational skills.
- Have the ability to ensure good pupil progress through an effective Assessment for Learning cycle.
- Have an interest in innovating with ICT.
- Be highly motivated, enthusiastic and an exceptional communicator.
- Have experience of living and working in a different culture.
- Be focused on the individual needs of the child.
You will be remunerated with an attractive package including:
- A competitive, tax-free salary
- Annual flight allowance
- Furnished, secure accommodation including utility bills
- Car and driver
- Gym membership
- Health Cover
The school is situated in the heart of the thriving capital of Nigeria which has a delightful mix of historical and modern cultural sights.
Abuja is a pleasant place to live. As the newly developed capital city, and in clear contrast to the former capital, Lagos, Abuja is safe, clean and well-organised. It is the seat of government and home to many foreign Embassies and High Commissions. Traffic flows freely along wide, tree-lined roads, and the presence of a high-level political and diplomatic community, as well as the large number of important international conferences held there, ensure that Abuja is presented and preserved as a flagship city for Nigeria. Abuja is, apparently, the fastest-growing capital city in the world!
Nigerians are friendly, and willing to share their culture and experience if interest is shown. Local travel outside Abuja is possible, though at times it can be a little difficult. For the more adventurous, Nigeria is a fascinating country to explore.
Nigeria has a tough reputation in the outside world. Conventional wisdom focuses on the grave crime statistics, the high incidence of fraud and the sometimes fraught diplomatic relations with other countries. However, many regard Nigeria as a well kept secret and it is certainly not unusual for expatriate families in all industries to request extensions to their assignments. This position will provide an exciting professional challenge and unique living experience.
You can apply in just two simple steps:
- Sign up to Teacherhorizons - it takes 2 minutes to add your key details and CV - www.teacherhorizons.com
- Email John Regan - firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your application.
The deadline for application is 9th March 2018 but we strongly encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible. Short-listed candidates will be interviewed by Skype initially and final interviews will be held in London.