The Governing Body of Beaumont School seeks an exceptional Headteacher to lead our outstanding school from September 2017. The post becomes vacant upon the retirement of the current Headteacher after 13 years of outstanding service to the school. This is a superb opportunity for a serving Headteacher or an experienced Deputy Headteacher to build on her legacy and take the school “beyond outstanding”.
Beaumont School is an 11-18 mixed comprehensive school in St Albans, Hertfordshire, with 1,216 students, including over 300 students in the Sixth Form. It converted to Academy status in July 2012. In March 2014, Ofsted found the school to be Outstanding in all respects, with inspectors commenting that the school felt like “a breath of fresh air”. In particular, Ofsted found that “The headteacher, leadership team and the governors have a relentless focus on raising achievement for all students in the school. They are all passionate about driving up standards even further and give a clear vision to all staff of where they want the school to be. They have been successful in creating a culture that pursues excellence.”
The Governing Body is immensely proud of the school’s caring and supportive community ethos, its exceptional staff, and its mature and well-rounded students. Strategic priorities currently include the maintenance of that ethos and the school’s culture of outstanding teaching and learning, whilst continuing the ongoing improvement works to facilities. The school is heavily oversubscribed, and the Governing Body has recently confirmed that the Pupil Admission Number (PAN) will be increased by an additional 30 students from September 2018.
Beaumont School is currently engaged in an ambitious facilities development plan. In 2014, a new Sixth Form Centre was completed. 2015 saw the opening of extensive new playing fields, a multi-use games area and an all-weather pitch. In September 2016, a new state-of-the-art sports hall and teaching block was opened, including 11 classrooms, a fitness suite, conference facilities and a new reception and car park. Plans are currently being developed for a new five-laboratory Science Block (to open by 2018) and the redevelopment of the 1960s school hall as a performing arts centre.
The Governors wish to appoint a Headteacher who will:
- Place the students at the heart of all they do;
- Be a committed, forward-thinking enthusiast for education and learning;
- Maintain and develop the school’s outstanding results and inspiring teaching and learning;
- Promote independent and engaged learning across the school;
- Maintain and develop the school’s excellent extra-curricular provision, including in music, drama and sport;
- Provide inspirational, authentic and team-orientated leadership for the school;
- Embrace the school’s traditions, its considerate and supportive community ethos, and its high standards and expectations, leading by example;
- Assist the Academy Trust in developing a long-term business plan for the school;
- Oversee and develop the facilities development plan; and
- Work closely with and support other local schools and Headteachers, through the BeauSandVer Education Trust and other external networks.
An ideal candidate will have a proven record for:
- Highly respected school leadership skills;
- Strong communication, interpersonal, management and teamwork skills;
- Having the drive and resilience to lead and encourage staff and students to develop and improve;
- Being committed to the professional development of all staff;
- Possessing excellent strategic and financial judgment, in order to fulfil the role of Accounting Officer for the Academy Trust;
- Having a clear understanding of the structure and operation of Academies and other school trust structures; and
- Outstanding leadership as a serving Headteacher or experienced Deputy Headteacher.
Further information about the school and the role is available via the links set out in this advert.
A supporting letter of no more than 2 side of A4 maximum and a minimum font size of 11, detailing why you would like the post, should accompany your application. Application forms without a covering letter will not be considered. CVs will not be accepted.
Completed applications should be sent to Sue Parsons (HR Manager) at the school’s address or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 9am on Monday 19 December 2016
Shortlisting: Tuesday 10 January 2017
Interviews: Wednesday 25 and Thursday 26 January 2017
Weeks commencing 28 November & 5 December 2016. Potential applicants are welcome to visit the school for a short tour and an opportunity to meet the outgoing Headteacher. Please contact the Headteacher’s PA, Mandy Watt, on the School number, 01727 854726 to arrange a time.
All applicants are required to complete an Equality Monitoring form.
Receipt of Application:
Applications will be acknowledged (by email) within three working days of receipt. If you do not receive an acknowledgement within this time, please contact Sue Parsons, HR Manager, on 01727 854726
Beaumont School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). Beaumont School is an equal opportunities employer.
Beaumont School is an Academy, an exempt charity, and a company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales with company number 8104190, and with its registered address at Beaumont School, Oakwood Drive, St Albans AL4 0XB.