Higher Education Adviser & Research Leader
Required for September 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter
Salary: Competitive and dependent on experience, skills and knowledge
As one of the UK's leading coeducational, independent schools, most students who leave Ashford School after A levels take a degree and to ensure this continues we have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Higher Education Adviser.
In this key role you will maximise the successful entry of our students into the world’s top universities, colleges and employment schemes. Ensuring all our students receive the support, guidance and access to opportunities needed to achieve their aspirations, you will:
• Provide HE advice and advice on the preparation of applications for university;
• Provide careers advice in preparation for curriculum choices at 14+, 16+ and beyond;
• Oversee the engagement of our pupils in activities such as the CREST Awards, Extended Professional Qualification, Maths & Science Olympiads, academic, creative, and musical competitions;
• Develop and manage a network of parents, alumni, business partners and other friends of the school to provide external guidance, work experience, internships and support for students seeking places at university and into the world of work beyond university;
• Establish and oversee a research space/lab/function which allows students to explore and contribute to areas of contemporary research in many fields;
• Promote demanding, wide-ranging and engaging programmes for our most able pupils of all ages.
The ideal candidate will have experience as a university admissions tutor with experience of the UCAS application process and a record of academic achievement including an honours degree from a world-class university (2.1 or above). Experience or knowledge of independent schools and school curriculum and a proven track record of successful research in any discipline are also required.
If you can empathise and support students, providing personal warmth to gain their confidence and encourage them to progress and succeed we would be delighted to hear from you.
In return, as part of United Learning, one of the leading education groups in the UK, we can offer unrivalled career development opportunities. This is a full-time appointment on a teaching contract; consideration will be given to qualified or experienced teachers/lecturers who can teach one or more subjects offered by the school but this is not a requirement. This is a non-resident post.
To apply, please visit:
Closing date: 12 noon on Friday 21 June. Interviews: w/c 24 June.
Note - We reserve the right to interview and offer to a strong candidate prior to the closing date. It is strongly recommended that candidates submit their applications as soon as possible
Ashford School is one of the UK's leading coeducational, independent day and boarding schools, having twice been voted Independent School of the Year. The School was endorsed as excellent in every category during the most recent inspection. Ashford School is a Teaching School, only one of a small number of Independent Schools in the UK.
Ashford School is part of United Learning, a large and growing group of schools aiming to offer a life-changing education across England. As a group, we achieve more by sharing than any single school could.
Ashford School is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all staff to share this commitment. An Enhanced DBS check is required for all successful applicants.