South Island School Website: Click Here
South Island School is a secondary school with approximately 1,400 students.
Higher Education Counsellor (re-advertisement)
(This is a re-advertisement. Those applicants who have applied before need not apply again.)
We are seeking an experienced Higher Education counsellor or Assistant Higher Education Counsellor to join an experienced and high-performing team providing advice and guidance to our international body of students (and their parents) as they apply to universities around the world.
This is a replacement position as one of our Team returns to the UK. It is not a teaching position although applications from suitably qualified teachers are welcome and there will be many opportunities to interact with young people, both one-to-one and in groups. Applicants should have significant experience of Higher Education counselling, preferably dealing with applicants to more than one geographical destination and have an established network of admissions contacts. For the Higher Education Counsellor position, a bachelor degree plus a Certificate or Diploma in College Counselling/Counselling is required. School experience would be an advantage but we welcome applicants from other backgrounds who are able to demonstrate sufficient knowledge of the school context. Experience of the North American Higher Education system would also be an advantage (but is not essential).
South Island runs three Diploma programmes: the IB Diploma Programme: the IB Careers Related Programme and a South Island Diploma for students with individual needs. There are around 350 students in Years 12 and 13. Our counselling team needs to be aware of the needs of students on all three pathways and be able to offer the very best advice about destinations and appropriate institutions as ‘stretch’, ‘secure’ and ‘safety’ targets.
Our Counsellors are very ‘hands-on’ with students and build good relationships to foster a spirit of trust and open communication. The successful candidate will be open minded and willing to learn, fluent in English with a high level of literacy (dealing with references, recommendations, essays and personal statements is a key area). The ability and confidence to address large audiences of students, parents and fellow professionals is also essential. Above all, we expect our Counsellors to like young people and to engage them with patience, care and good humour.
General responsibilities will include* to:
(*Subject to change depending on appointment as Higher Education Counsellor or Assistant Higher Education Counsellor)
• conduct individual interviews with a caseload of students (and, where appropriate, their parents) in Year 11, 12 and in Year 13 focusing on their Higher Education plans and applications.
• develop close working links with designated Heads of House and the Director of Post 16 Learning
• work with the Careers Team in preparing school supporting materials for students’ HE applications. This includes the preparation and/or proofreading of references and recommendations.
• assist the Head of Careers in liaising with and organising meetings of HE representatives, students and parents and take responsibility for presentations on specific destinations as specified by the Head of Careers.
• work with the Careers Team in the production of materials for the Higher Education guidance programme, the selection of resources for the Careers Centre and in the development of materials on the Careers Department website.
• work with the Learning Support department to offer appropriate guidance on pathways after school to Learning Support students.
• undertake tasks as reasonably directed by the Head of Careers
The Higher Education Counsellor post is offered on a two-year contract basis which is renewable and includes a terminal gratuity. The counsellors follow school term times but are required to be available for specified periods during the school holidays (for example at examination results time). There will be occasions when attendance at evening events is required and there is an expectation that the candidate will be able to join overseas Higher Education tours that occur largely during school vacation times.
Closing Date: 20 Jun 2017
For enquiries, please contact Ms Min Mon at email@example.com
More information about the job description and application form, can be found at the below link: