Job Purpose: Under the instruction/guidance of class teacher and within the overall ethos of the Academy, undertake care and learning programmes and activities to support the class,individuals or groups of pupils, including more specific support for those with special education needs. Enable access to learning for children and assist the teacher in the management of children and the classroom. Work may carried out in the classroom or in other teaching areas.
In relation to the individual child/children
• To develop an understanding of the needs of the child/ children concerned
• To take into account the child/ children special needs and ensure their access to the lesson and its content through appropriate clarification, explanations, equipment and materials
• To build and maintain successful relationships with children, treat them consistently, with respect and consideration.
• To help promote independent learning
• To help reinforce learning
• To assist children with physical needs
• To help children record work in an appropriate way
• To help keep the children on task and to build motivation
• To model good practice
• To help build the child/ children confidence and enhance self esteem
• To have formal and informal meetings with teachers to contribute to planning lessons/activities
• To prepare materials and resources
• To prepare children beforehand for a task
• Use strategies, liaison with the teacher, to support pupils to achieve learning goals.
• To work on differentiated activities with identified groups
• To support the teacher in implementing specific teaching programmes
• To supervise practical tasks
• To carry out structured classroom assessment/ observation and feedback outcomes
• To be involved in keeping records and evaluating identified children’s progress
• To work as part of the team in relation to individual children, liaising, advising and consulting where appropriate
• To support implementation of school policies and procedures, including those relating to confidentiality and behaviour
• To identify personal training needs and to attend appropriate internal and external in-service Training.
Specific to Grade 3
To complement the professional work of teachers by taking responsibility for agreed learning activities under an agreed system of supervision
To plan, prepare and deliver learning activities for individuals/groups.
To be responsible for the management and development of a specialist area within the school
Record progress and achievement in lessons/activities systematically and provide evidence of range and level of progress and attainment
To assist with developing and implement Individual Support Plans
To implement specific teaching programmes.
Any other tasks as directed by the Head which fall within the range of the post.
To undertake any other duties that may be reasonably deemed part of the role.
To undertake such other duties, training and/or hours of work as may well be reasonably required and which are consistent with the role.
To participate in performance management arrangements.
To adhere to published school policies and procedures.
To attend regular meetings with line manager.