Reports to: Head of House
Hours: 10.15am – 6pm Monday to Friday plus Parades (includes a break of one hour to be taken in agreement with the Head of House but will generally be split 12.10pm – 12.40pm and 4pm – 4.30pm Monday to Thursday and 3pm – 3.30pm on Fridays) term time only.
Salary: c£15,900 p.a.
Main Purpose of the Job
The House Assistant works alongside the Head of House and House Tutors to assist in the smooth running of the House and to assist with the welfare of students in the House. The House Assistant will agree specific responsibilities with the Head of House.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. To assist with collecting attendance information and following up attendance issues.
2. To input data into SIMS to record sanctions and rewards.
3. To assist with the monitoring of student diaries.
4. To respond to / relay messages received in the House as appropriate.
5. To report any maintenance issues or Health & Safety concerns to the Maintenance Department.
6. To organise and monitor games equipment within the House and purchase new items using House funds.
7. General administrative duties as required.
8. To be responsible for keeping appropriate financial records as required.
9. To be responsible for displays in the House.
10. To be responsible for allocation of lockers and locker keys.
11. To be responsible for lost property.
12. To make minor repairs to Blues uniform and audit the House stock of Blues and spare School uniform.
13. To assist with the general welfare of students in the House.
14. To provide proactive supervision at all times when students are in the House.
15. To assist in maintaining high standards of dress and behaviour within the House.
16. To provide pastoral support to individual students as appropriate and agreed with the Head of House and liaise with parents as required.
17. To update social media sites on behalf of the Head of House.
18. To be responsible for snacks and the House Tuck Shop.
19. To supervise the tidiness and cleanliness of the House and use of Study Rooms during the day. Liaise with the Domestic Services Co-ordinator as required.
20. To assist on Parade Sundays, Fun Day, Annual & Prize-Giving, and either Whitehall or Guildford.
21. To assist at up to 3 parents’ social events per year during the evening or at a weekend.
22. To attend one Inter-House event on a Saturday morning each term.
23. To liaise with the Head of Catering to provide snacks for the students and to arrange catering needs for all social occasions.
24. To deputise for the Head of House at annual Statement Review meetings.
25. To administer Controlled Drugs as appropriate in conjunction with staff in the Medical Centre.
26. To carry out other duties as mutually agreed with the Head of House, e.g. 6th Form duties, House Committees.
• Enthusiastic, friendly, and committed to the personal, social and academic development of young people.
• Able to work well as part of a team, with good communication and interpersonal skills.
• A high level of organisational skills and ability to work to deadlines.
• A pro-active person who anticipates and initiates.
• IT proficient.
• Have ‘affable intensity’: a sense of humour, but retain sharp intensity for what needs to be done and ability to ‘get on with it’
• Understand that teaching is first and foremost about service and ‘going the extra mile' for the students
• Hold a full clean UK driving licence
Gordon’s School is a State Boarding and Day School and is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment – applicants must be willing to undergo appropriate screening including a DBS check.