The INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF MILAN is seeking to appoint a HOUSE MASTER AND HOUSE MISTRESS (2 positions) to join us in September 2018
Candidates should be well-qualified, committed to high standards, interested in using innovative approaches to learning and enthusiastic about promoting international understanding. As interviews will be held on a rolling basis via Skype and face-to-face, we encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible.
Founded in 1958, ISM caters for over 900 students from more than 60 nationalities. Our present campus opened in September 2013, incorporates a theatre, swimming pool and full-size gymnasium as well as specialist classrooms, labs, libraries, arts and music areas. All of our sections are fully authorised for International Baccalaureate (IB) programmes – Primary Years Programme (PYP) from Kindergarten to Grade 6; Middle Years Programme (MYP) from Grades 7 to 11; Diploma Programme (DP) in Grades 12 and 13. ISM is the most established IB world school in Italy and has an excellent record of results in the Diploma averaging over 35. Wi-Fi is enabled throughout the campus to support the school’s 1:1 learning project, with every student having access to a personal tablet or laptop.
ISM is one of several very successful Italian schools belonging to Inspired, a worldwide network of premium schools offering global best practice and professional development.
Our host city
Milan has long been considered the dynamo of the Italian economy and the country’s most cosmopolitan and forward-looking city. Located near the heart of Europe, it is extremely well-connected with three major airports and easy road and rail inks across the country and the continent. Although Milan is a busy commercial centre, the artistic and cultural heritage of Italy is prominent, from galleries and theatres, to its fame as a global focus for fashion, design, nightlife, cuisine and lifestyle. There is a history of sporting excellence and its location near the mountains, lakes and the Mediterranean Sea make it ideal for sporting activities as well as its renowned professional teams.
We are seeking to appoint a House Master and a House Mistress (2 separate positions). ISM will open its new state of the art boarding facilities in late August 2018 with a maximum capacity of over 45 boarders. We require two colleagues who will be able to:
- Oversee the safety, pastoral care and academic performance of our boarding students
- Oversee the staffing of the boarding House to ensure the above standards are maintained
- Create a positive and supportive environment in which our Boarders want to belong
- Support the school’s ethos and vision
- Ensuring strong, constructive relationships are maintained with parents, students, senior leaders and teaching staff
- To be the face of the boarding school and visible at all times.
- Although previous boarding experience is not essential, candidates must possess a range of skills and qualities that will demonstrate their ability to fulfil the role successfully.
The initial contract will be for a period of two years, after which there will be the possibility of converting the contract into a permanent position of employment.
- to be in possession of a university degree (an appropriate teaching qualification would be an advantage)
- to be aware and accepting of the unique nature of working in a Boarding school
- to be enthusiastic and passionate about working with young people and convey this to the students in your charge.
- to be able to make decisions calmly and rationally in line with the school’s aims.
- to be an EU passport holder or already be in possession of a valid visa that enables to work in Italy.
A variety of training will of course be offered including First Aid, Child Protection and Health and Safety.
Why work with us?
- A knowledgeable and talented staff body committed to supporting the very best in student achievement.
- A competitive salary
- Free apartment in our Boarding House in Milan and all meals.
- The freedom and scope to shape our Boarding provision in line with the world’s best.
- The largest international campus in Italy and a school where all colleagues are respected as professionals and afforded autonomy to work in the most innovative and effective ways.
- A course of free Italian lessons for new staff
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements should send an application containing the following to Ms Alessandra De Carlo, Head of HR at email@example.com:
- Letter of application;
- CV with photo;
- Contact details of three referees (one of which must be the Head or Principal from your most recent appointment), who you give your consent for us to approach before interview.
The successful candidate(s) will be expected to begin work at the end of August 2018, before which date a criminal records check will need to be completed as part of our child safeguarding policy.
More information about the school can be found on our website at: http://internationalschoolsgroup.it/school/milan. The school is one of several very successful Italian schools belonging to ISE (International School of Europe) which in turn is part of Inspired (www.inspirededu.co.uk), a worldwide network of premium schools offering global best practice and professional development.