We are looking for an engaging and dynamic Housemaster/Housemistress to join our boarding provision at Islip House, our brand new 61 bedroom boarding house. The post will commence in September 2018, although the capacity for a settling in period towards the end of August would be appreciated.
The Housemaster/Housemistress is responsible for the general welfare and personal development of the Sixth Form boarders in Islip House and for creating a secure and nurturing environment. The new Sixth Form boarding house is situated directly on the Banbury Road overlooking the brand new 333 Banbury Road Sixth Form site.
During the school day, 8.35am to 4.20pm, Directors of Studies are primarily responsible for the students’ academic development and welfare; however, the Housemaster/Housemistress has an overview of their students’ progress and well-being and liaises with parents and academic staff about this. The Housemaster/Housemistress is resident during term time and is line managed and responsible to the Deputy Principal and ultimately to the Principal.
- Enthusiastic, friendly, a genuine interest and commitment to the care and development of Sixth Form boarders.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Flexible, adaptable, co-operative, helpful, self-aware; collaborates well; ability to work alone and as part of a team.
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills; ability to work to deadlines.
- Ability to take initiative, develop new ideas and implement them.
- IT literate and competent.
- Team player, sense of perspective, resilience and an excellent sense of humour through to the end of term.
Qualifications and Experience
- Experience of working in a boarding school or in a pastoral setting with children is not essential but would be desirable.
- First Aid at work certificate holder would be advantageous, although training will be given if needed.
- Clean driving licence.
Duties and responsibilities
Please note that the below are illustrative of what the successful candidate will be expected to do. For a fuller and more detailed list of the duties and responsibilities of the Housemaster/Housemistress position, please refer to the candidate brief available on the vacancies page of our school website.
- To develop and maintain among the students high and consistent standards of behaviour, organisation and cleanliness.
- To liaise with: Head of Sixth Form, Boarding Tutors, Director of Studies and other school staff to ensure the highest and consistent standards of care for students.
- Together with the Deputy Principal and Head of Boarding, develop and help manage an effective and efficient boarding team, staffing structure and staffing responsibilities for Islip, including Graduate Assistants and Boarding Tutors.
- To liaise with the Bursar and their teams regarding maintenance and the development of facilities.
- To ensure, with the Deputy Principal and Head of Boarding, that the boarding house is compliant with the National Minimum Standards for Boarding.