Malvern College Chengdu is looking for House Master/Mastress with teaching responsibilites in subjects of Art, EAL, Englist with Drama or ICT up to IGCSE level and A-level.
The Housem is a Key pastoral leader in the School whose has overall responsibility of their House to ensure emotional and physical well-being of the boarders The Housem reports to the Deputy Head Pastoral who will provide support on pastoral care, managing parents’ communication related to boarding; Housems are to oversee the day-to-day activities such as morning and evening roll-call, giving out and taking in electronic devices; organising and supporting boarding activities including weekend trips when needed. Housems are the point of contact with support staff on facility management and other activities, (to be supported by the assistant Housems). The Housem will supervise the Assistant Housem and Matron to manage logistics and maintenance of the house including cleaning and laundry.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To be resident within the house at all times during term time (excluding off duty time)
- Be vigilant after hours for students misbehaving and apply appropriate sanctions.
- To ensure that the individual circumstances, needs, strengths and weaknesses of each student in the house are identified and known by staff as needed, so that individual opportunities, talents and potential are developed and maximised.
- Liaise effectively with the appropriate Co-tutors, School Counsellors and teaching staff to ensure that relevant background circumstances of students are known and discussed.
- Ensure that accurate and up to date records of students’ progress, welfare, health, emotional development, achievements and behaviour are kept; to provide termly reports and other such reports and references as may reasonably be required.
- The Housem should attend all relevant meetings such as House Meetings, Boarding Meetings, Parents meetings, Staff Meetings and other School functions including assemblies.
- Previous experience of boarding (preferable but not essential)
- Able to work both independently and effectively as part of a team
- Confident and persuasive written and verbal communicator.
- Excellent ICT skills
- Able to relate to students, parents and colleagues with empathy and sensitivity.
- Fully understand ad comply with the safer recruitment policy of MCC
- The ability to offer a mainstream academic subject is essential.
The Housem. is expected to sleep in the house every night during term time, other than during time off authorised by the Deputy Head pastoral.
The post holder’s responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young persons for whom s/he is responsible, or with whom s/he comes into contact will be to adhere to and ensure compliance with the School’s Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy Statement at all times. If in the course of carrying out the duties of the post the post holder becomes aware of any actual or potential risks to the safety or welfare of children in the School s/he must report any concerns to the School’s Designated Safeguarding Lead.