Primary purpose of role:
This position covers a wide range of duties and skills, some of which are listed below. The applicant should be able to work unsupervised and to plan work in terms of time and materials to maximize efficiency. The Houseperson should ensure that good Health & Safety practice is followed at all times and should be discreet, with initiative and able to get on well with the other members of house staff.
Key Responsibilities (non-exhaustive list)
The key duties are:
- Carry out basic repairs around the house.
- Complete job requests for the Estates Department where necessary.
- Check lights, inside and out, regularly.
- Check and unblock drains and gutters as needed.
- Sweep and tidy exterior surfaces.
- Maintain garden areas as directed by the Housemaster/mistress or Estates Manager.
- Clear paths of snow, spreading salt on pathways in icy conditions etc.
- Assist cleaners in moving furniture for cleaning etc.
- Carry out carpet cleaning.
- Put out refuse for collection, in accordance with the school’s recycling scheme policy.
- Check the house’s fire alarm system and adhere to safety regulations as instructed.
- Carry out testing of portable electrical appliances.
- Basic maintenance of house equipment (changing filters on vacuum cleaners, descaling kettles and irons, checking toasters etc.)
- Carry out minor repairs to washing machines /tumble driers/cookers or refer to Estates.
- Check time clocks/thermostats when necessary.
- Removal and descaling of shower heads on a regular basis.
- Cleaning of shower/bath outlets of hair etc.
- Decorating/touching in as required.
- Checking and cleaning of extractor fan grills.
Responsibilities during school holidays / at the beginning and end of terms:
- Removal of curtains at cleaners’ request for dry cleaning/washing.
- Cleaning/repairing curtain rails/pelmets as required.
- Removal of shower curtains for washing.
- Sanding down and varnishing of furniture, shelving, woodwork etc. as required.
- Wiping down/dust lamp shades/covers periodically.
- Helping students and parents with moving trunks and suitcases.
- Storing trunks and maintaining trunk room in good order.
Hours of Work
08:30 to 12:30 Monday to Friday, although this can be flexible for the right candidate. There may be a requirement for some additional hours at the start and end of each term.
£11.51 per hour (normally for 20 hours per week). This figure is reviewed on an annual basis with any increases taking effect from 1 September of that year.
Membership of the school’s defined contribution pension scheme is available (includes life assurance). Those staff who choose not to join the GPP but meet the eligibility criteria for Auto-enrollment, will be automatically enrolled into the School’s Auto-enrollment pension scheme. More information is available from the Human Resources Team.
Entitlement is 33 days paid holiday per annum including public holidays (pro-rata’d). The holiday year runs from 1st Jan- 31st Dec. Half terms are not entitled holidays. Holiday may not, without prior agreement, be taken during term time.
The successful applicant will be offered the role subject to the satisfactory completion of a number of background checks including but not limited to; an enhanced DBS check, the taking up and verification of references, the verification of career history and an online health check. We also reserve the right to contact any previous employers for a reference request on your behalf.
All staff have a responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children with whom they come into contact and are required to adhere to and ensure compliance with the school’s Child Protection Policy Statement at all times. If, in the course of carrying out their duties, a member of staff becomes aware of any actual or potential risks to the safety or welfare of children in the school, they must immediately report their concerns to the Deputy Head (Pastoral).
If you wish to be considered for this role, please complete the online support staff application form at: https://www.sevenoaksschool.org/support-vacancies/ . The form must be completed in full and submitted electronically. CV’s can also be submitted but cannot replace any information on the application form which should be submitted in full.