We are looking for a HR Manager to join our team at Harris Academy South Norwood.
You will provide a proficient and effective HR function to our large secondary school, based across two sites. This is a generalist role managing all operational areas of HR, but with an understanding of the Senior Leadership Team’s strategic aims. As such, the position requires the ability to demonstrate commercial HR astuteness in the educational sector, with strong analytical ability.
Ours is a cross-site Academy for girls and boys aged 11–19. We have a thriving Sixth Form. The two excellent sites, one in South Norwood and one in Upper Norwood have one ethos. Both sites provide students with the very best in technology and resources that inspire every student.
If you are looking for a school with clear and effective behaviour policies and systems, a visible and supportive leadership team, useful but not onerous CPD, and frequent opportunities for promotion, then we could be the school for you. Our students behave well, and so they achieve well. This is a product of our excellent behaviour systems. We have 6 non teaching Heads of Year who support behaviour and welfare, and run a fully centralised detention system. Exemplary behaviour can only be achieved through a highly visible Senior Leadership team, and they are constantly touring the Academy. CPD is bespoke, first and foremost in the subject and grounded in tried and tested methods of effective teaching such as modelling, questioning, literacy, practice and consolidation. We don't engage with the latest fads. We believe the best approach to workload and wellbeing is to run a highly effective school with gives people purpose, and avoids unnecessary work. Our sizeable department teams mean that despite our excellent retention rates, opportunities for promotion are frequent and exciting. I really hope that you'll be joining our team.
Main Areas of Responsibility
Your main responsibilities will be:
- To ensure a high standard of HR support is provided to all stakeholders, raising the profile of HR across both sites.
- To ensure the Academy is legally compliant in all HR related matters and promoting best practice.
- To ensure the Academy is amenable with all HR related Federation policies and procedures.
- To ensure the Academy’s SCR (single central record) is accurately administered and maintained.
- To oversee the management of all ‘right to work’ and ‘sponsorship’ processes for employees and associated obligations to ensure legal compliance.
- The management of staff absence, ensuring accurate and up to date records, specifically sickness absence, providing reports, taking necessary action in a consistent manner.
- To oversee the accurate and timely management of the Academy’s monthly payroll.
Qualifications & Experience
- Previous experience of working in a HR management role
- Experience of line management
- Operational understanding of Employment Law and HR best practice
- Employee relations experience, including disciplinary and grievance procedures, maternity, paternity, shared parental leave and flexible working requests etc.
- Sponsorship management experience
- Experience of processing DBS applications and onboarding
- Payroll and pension experience
- Qualifications to undergraduate degree level or equivalent
- CIPD accreditation advantageous
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact us via e-mail, or call to arrange a conversation.
Before applying, please download the Job Pack for full details on the job responsibilities and person specification. You will need this when completing your application.
Please note: we may hold interviews as and when applications are received and we reserve the right to offer to a candidate prior to the closing date. We only accept applications submitted online via our careers website and which are completed before the closing deadline. With this in mind, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible and advise you check the job information as per the listing on our careers site.
Professional Development & Benefits
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.
We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. Before applying, please review our Policy Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.
The Harris Federation is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.
As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students, and all our staff are equally valued and respected. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff.
Harris Academy South Norwood is an 11-18 Academy for 1,100 students that opened in September 2007, located in a purpose built, state-of-the-art new building.
Harris Academy South Norwood is an outstanding Academy and has excellent facilities for teac...