Humanities /Global Perspectives Teacher
The British School, Alexandria seeks applications from enthusiastic, hard-working and talented teachers looking to develop their teaching career in an international setting. We follow the British National Curriculum and you would teach Global Perspectives and another subject specialism (KS3 to AS/A2). You would be joining a strong department with a supportive and committed group of experienced teachers.
The British School, Alexandria is a long-established, high-achieving and forward-thinking 3-18 International School known for its family atmosphere. It enjoys an excellent reputation both within Alexandria and further afield. It is recognized by the DfE and is an accredited member of the Council of British International Schools (COBIS). In our recent BSO inspection, we were described as a “Good school with many outstanding features”. We are committed to ensuring excellent learning and teaching in a caring environment. You will find the school a rewarding and friendly place to work with good relationships between staff and students. We have a strong commitment to the professional development of all our staff.
We are the first and only school in Africa to be honoured with the High-Performance Learning (HPL) accreditation and the first school in Africa to be part of the Fellowship of World Class Schools. We believe in the growth-mindset philosophy of HPL and are enriching our students with the cognitive and attitude tool kit to thrive in an ever-competitive 21st-century global society. We would be seeking to appoint a candidate who has a similar mindset and who understands the importance of modern pedagogical research to inform their delivery of lessons.
Alexandria is a bustling, friendly and cosmopolitan city on the Mediterranean, full of historical interest. Life for teachers is enjoyable with a low cost of living and sufficiently good infrastructure, shops, cafes and restaurants to lead a European lifestyle. Most teachers are able to save at least 60% of their salary and, at the same time, enjoy exploring Egypt. Although in past Egypt has appeared in the media, you will find that living in Alexandria is in reality similar to living in any other big city with no particular security issues and a strong and stable government.
• Degree from a UK university or similar in Humanities or a related subject
• Qualified Teacher Status / PGCE/ iPGCE
• Experience of teaching in the British education system either in the UK or in British international schools
• Satisfactory Police / DBS checks
• 2 years’ experience of teaching Humanities/GP; however a strong NQT would also be considered
• A British citizen who has been educated in Britain and so has personal experience of the British education system
Terms and Conditions /Advantages
• Good tax-free salary
• Free furnished quality accommodation (excluding utility bills) with sole occupancy within walking distance of the school in a very pleasant suburb of Alexandria
• Annual return flights to the UK for the teacher, spouse and dependents
• Beginning and end-of-contract baggage allowance
• 2 free school places for dependent children (and 50% for a third child)
• Free health insurance for teacher, spouse and dependents
• Small class sizes (typically 15 -20 students in a class much less at A-Level)
• Motivated students who want to learn
• Forward-looking British independent international school at the heart of the community with a family atmosphere
• Excellent professional development together with opportunities to take on the responsibility
• British international accredited (COBIS and BSME) not-for-profit school for children aged 3-18
• Vibrant North African Egyptian city with excellent opportunities for travel
If you are interested in joining us, please visit our website www.bsalex.net for further details and submit an application via TES , including a brief letter of why you would like the post, and outlining your experience of teaching. Please also indicate all subjects and levels you are able to offer. Please e-mail any documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Single teachers or married couples (with or without children) are welcome to apply.
The British School, Alexandria is committed to all aspects of safeguarding and equal opportunities.
We have recently celebrated our 35th Anniversary and continue to be one of the leading schools in Alexandria and the surrounding area. We have close links with the British Embassy - our Patron is Her Britannic Majesty's Ambassador to Egypt. &nb...