Our Bursar is leaving at the end of this year and we are currently shortlisting for this post as previously advertised.
Whilst the recruitment is at early stages, we are considering contingency plans should the timing of departure and new recruit not coincide.
On this basis, we are considering the potential need which may arise for an interim finance professional – someone to temporarily take on the finance/commercial strand of the bursar’s job and to be the main party in relation to a handover. This opportunity would require, at minimum, the equivalent of 25 hours a week and the length of engagement will naturally depend upon circumstances.
We would be open to discussing such a possibility with professional accountants who are used to working in an interim capacity; ideally with bursarial, school business management or small company FD experience.
If you possess the relevant skill-sets and experience, we would love to hear from you. The Beacon is a remarkable school and we seek a first class interim.
Role: Interim - Accountant
Main Responsibility - Finance/Operational
- Advising on general financial policy and ensuring compliance
· Preparing and regularly presenting forecasts and budgets
· Monitoring income and expenditure in relation to the budget, analysing variances and presenting regular management accounts and reports
· Keeping the statutory accounts of the School - Income and Expenditure Accounts, Balance Sheets, Cashflows and facilitating the annual audit preparing all the relevant documentation
· Overseeing the pupils' billing arrangements and collection of all fees and other dues
· Management of the Bursary Fund system, clerking and ensuring policy is applied
· Payment of expenses and wages, including PAYE, Superannuation and National Insurance
· Administering pension schemes
· Scrutinising and passing for payment all invoices and statements of account
· Financial appraisals of projects
· Dealing with VAT, taxation and HMRC matters
· Investment and treasury management
· Cost effective procurement and management of bought in goods and services
· Seeking professional advice/managing relationships with auditors, bank advisers, lawyers
· Managing the School's insurances
· Managing a small Finance Team
· Key contact for Charity Commission, Companies House, Government Bodies, DfE, ISI etc
· Risk management processes
· Data controller and assisting with DPA/GDPR
· Attending Governor meetings as required (including preparing and presenting reports), and taking part in short and long term planning processes
· Working closely with the SMT (Senior Management Team) to support the overall operational management of the School.
The successful candidate will be/possess:
· a professional accountancy or other suitable high level finance qualification
· experience of interim or consultancy work
· capable of producing high level reports and analysis, with acute eye for detail
· able to multi-task
· collaborative and open
· able to lead and manage a small team
· ideally bursar or small company FD experience. (NB: it is not essential for candidates to have worked in a school previously, but such could be useful)
The school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
All applicants must be prepared to undergo appropriate child protection screening, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service. The Beacon is an equal opportunities employer. References will be required and any relevant issues arising from such will be taken up at interview or a suitable point during the process.
Please register interest by covering letter (briefly explaining your suitability, availability and remuneration expectation) along with a CV as follows:
• by e-mail to email@example.com
• by post to: Mr William Phelps, Headmaster, The Beacon School, Amersham Road,
Chesham Bois, Amersham, Bucks HP6 5PF
The closing date for registering interest is close of business Friday 24th November 2017.
Meetings to discuss possibilities will be held the following week.