Interim Operations Manager - Autumn Term 2021
TERM TIME ONLY plus INSET days plus 10 days in school closure periods (41 weeks per annum)
36 hours per week
Points 39-41 (negotiable for an exceptional candidate)
(£40,803 to £42,670 per annum, actual salary)
September 2021 start
Barnhill Community High School is a high-performing, oversubscribed school in West London. Our 2019 academic outcomes place us well within the top 5% of the country. We are seeking to appoint a dedicated colleague to join our Senior Leadership Team.
Barnhill’s Senior Leadership Team is comprised of a Head of School, three deputy head teachers and four assistant head teachers. The team has a rich diversity of skills and experience, each with designated roles for school improvement.
We are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Schools Operations Manager, who will be responsible for all aspects of the building, logistics and management of the Front Office and Support staff.
Experience of managing a complex office environment, excellent organisational abilities and inter-personal skills will be essential.
1. Building management – ensuring that the school is able to make best use of its facilities, acting as the key point of liaison with the external facilities management company
2. Logistics – proactive management of key people and process logistics. Responsible for ensuring that the school remains compliant with key health and safety directives.
3. Management of support staff, including Central Administration and marketing.
4. To be the link between the different non-teaching managers and officers in the school; HR, Data, Finance, Technicians, admissions.
5. Communication and parental engagement – ensuring smooth communication within the school and with parents and families of the school.
6. To be accountable as the school’s designated data officer ensuring compliance with GDPR.
7. To be accountable as the school’s Health and Safety Officer.
1. Building Management
a. Link with the school’s PFI liaison service, and help to manage the PFI agreement, ensuring that the contract is being delivered in a timely and cost effective manner
b. Act as the key link between Bellrock and the School to manage day to day logistics
c. Proactively manage the use of all facilities to minimise clashes
2. People and Process Logistics
a. Proactively manage the VETS (Visits, Events and Trips) process to ensure that requests are made and dealt with in a timely and accurate manner
b. Cover – To manage the cover supervisor and oversee the daily cover process in order to minimise the use of external supply. Design and administrate a system that evaluates the success of cover. Review the trends and make recommendations to the Head of School
c. Duties – To work closely with the designated SLT member to oversee the duty rota in order to ensure that students are adequately supervised whilst keeping costs to a minimum. Ensure the duties are divided fairly and that staff are performing their duties as planned
d. Develop, manage and maintain the school calendar. Ensuring that this key document is well communicated and utilised across the school
e. Lead the logistical planning for key events i.e. open evening, awards evening etc
f. Responsible for ensuring that the school is GDPR compliant, sharing best practice across the Trust
g. Responsible for developing and maintaining health and safety standards, driving compliance and sharing best practice across the Trust
h. With the deputy head teacher (fire marshal) be responsible for the Fire Evacuation and Disaster Recovery procedures, ensuring they are well documented and communicated. Hands on management of the logistics in the event of a fire, fire drill or disaster situation
i. To ensure ongoing compliance on the matters of GDPR, H&S and Fire Procedures. Ensuring that the Head of School is continually informed of latest developments.
a. Management of the Front Office, ensuring that the reception area is welcoming and efficient to both on site visitors and telephone enquiries
b. Management of the Administration Officers, ensuring that they are delivering an efficient and relevant service to the SLT and the school. This should include diary management for the SLT (linking to the school calendar) and more detailed admin support for the Head of School
c. Overseeing the Admissions and Exclusions processes, ensuring that Barnhill maximises student numbers in an effective manner and that Exclusions are expedited
4. Communication and parental engagement
a. Ensure the smooth running of information relevant to logistical planning throughout the school
b. Ensure smooth communication with parents and families of the school regarding events, trips, visits and other elements of the school’s business.
c. To ensure that full use is made of the conventional means of communication with parents.
5. Designated data officer
a. To stay up to date regarding the statutory responsibilities of schools with GDPR and seek training where needed.
b. To liaise directly with the Head of School to devise key information, training and evaluation of the school’s use of data.
c. TO make recommendations to the Head of School and SLT regarding best practice in this area
6. Health and Safety
a. Ensure that key risk assessments are in place, are evaluated periodically and are compliant with statutory and other requirements.
b. To be accountable for the Fire Procedures and ensure H&S compliance liaising with the PFI.
c. Ensure all VETS activities fully comply with risk assessment processes.
1. To promote the school through an efficient and effective delivery of the role
2. To deliver the highest level of customer service
3. It is inevitable that responsibilities and duties will evolve, under such circumstances a review of the post will be undertaken
4. The post holder will be expected to undertake such tasks as are commensurate with the position and on the direction of the Head of School
5. Participate in appropriate training to support the fulfilment of the role and/or its further development
Due to the evolving nature of the school structure all job descriptions may need to be adjusted, through consultation, to meet the needs of the school. This process may be informed by the professional review.
Barnhill Community High School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Skills and experience
To apply please click on the quick apply link
Please note that Barnhill reserves the right to appoint at any stage during the recruitment process. Early applications are welcome.
Barnhill Community High is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Successful applicants are required to undergo Enhanced DBS clearance.
Barnhill Community High School
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- Secondary School
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 18 years
Barnhill Community High School is a high-performing school in West London. Our academic outcomes place us in and around the top 5% of the country. The school is heavily oversubscribed and has increased its PAN over the last two years to acco...