GEMS International School Tropicana Metropark is located in the outskirts of the safe, modern and vibrant capital city of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. We are a growing COBIS-member school, in our fourth academic year, and to maintain our momentum in becoming a leading British international school, we are looking for a resilient, motivational and ambitious Year Leader and Class Teacher for August 2021.
What Can You Expect?
• Our children are caring, respectful and love coming to school - you will spend your time promoting fun, creative and fulfilling learning for you, your class and Year Group.
• To work with only qualified teachers who all have UK QTS or equivalent. This is a small, close knit team of teachers and teaching assistants located in the same age appropriate learning zone. The role will require a deep knowledge of Key Stage 2 best practice; middle leadership experience is highly desirable but we also welcome applications from aspiring and ambitious primary colleagues ready for a new challenge.
• Supportive families who are ready to work with you and take on advice. We are a three form entry Primary School and we are looking for a confident, positive leader who enjoys working with parents and derives genuine pleasure in offering children memorable experiences in and outside of the classroom.
• A British primary school system offering elements of the Cambridge International Primary Curriculum and National Curriculum for England. We are a British School in Malaysia with a school council, weekly assemblies, PSHE, house points, Big Writes, Talk Homework and most of the familiar staples you will associate with school life in the UK.
• We aim for our staff to enjoy their school day but you will be busy! We are looking for energetic, enthusiastic, flexible colleagues who get a 'buzz' out of creating special memories for children. Expect events, trips, community projects and opportunities to organise and lead.
• Purpose built Key Stage 2 learning zone and resources with computing suite, drama room and science laboratory; Collins Big Cat reading scheme; White Rose; interactive whiteboards and iPads for each child; small class sizes; specialist teachers for in PE, Art, Music, Drama and languages.
• Please consider the fact that we offered an extensive online programme during lockdown; we are very much a physical school but we do offer online learning as a backup in the event of campus closure. Zoom and MS TEAMS familiarity would be advantageous.
• Beyond the classroom, we offer a wide range of co-curricular activities which is an important aspect of school life, equal in value to timetabled lessons. You may lead activities in any Key Stage you chose; sports, arts, community projects - as long as it is enriching!
• Regular CPD from leading British and International via Cambridge Assessments, GEMS University (GEMSU) and other external providers.
• Invitations to contribute to school-life development, so if you are aspirational or if you have a wealth of expertise that you enjoy sharing, you will love the opportunities that our new campus and community offer.
• A professional and caring atmosphere – we have high expectations for staff but your mental health is important to us too.
• A young school with experience – we have an individual identity, but benefit from organisation experience, procedural maturity and expert support advice.
• Travel – in normal circumstances, with strong links with regional sister schools and through associations of international schools in South East Asia, we train, collaborate and take part in friendly competitions. We are a member of COBIS and AIMS. International trips and competitions within South East Asia will be a feature of the Key Stage 2 experience.
• A rigorous safeguarding culture and safer recruitment practices. The school’s recruitment protocols adhere to the compliance requirements set for COBIS member schools and GEMS Education standards. Candidate references, one of which must be from the current head of school for teachers, may be checked and qualifications attested before interview – candidates should indicate if there is a concern with this at the point of application. Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS), International Child Protection Certificate (ICPC) or local police checks are required, together with a statement of medical fitness. Offers of employment are subject to candidates meeting the above requirements.
• Malaysia has responded efficiently to the global pandemic and cases remain significantly lower that in the UK; there have been no cases reported of COVID in school. Malls, restaurants and most aspects of normal life are running with appropriate precautions. *time of writing March 3rd 2021
All positions attract an excellent package*:
• Competitive salary
• Visa costs for employee covered and assistance for dependent visa processing
• One-off relocation allowance provided to move to Malaysia
• Up to 9 nights hotel stay to support house-hunting and linked to a housing agent prior to relocation to Malaysia. Candidates arriving during the pandemic have been required to spend 7 days in mandatory quarantine in a suitable hotel on arrival.
• 100% tuition fee concession for two children studying in the school for expatriate teachers
• Medical coverage for employees, spouse and one child, who reside in Malaysia.
• Annual round-trip air ticket to home airport for employee, spouse and one child per year
*Terms and conditions apply
Subang Jaya, Malaysia is 20km away from central Kuala Lumpur, with a drive time of between 15 to 30 minutes. It is also only minutes away from Petaling Jaya, a KL satellite with big city attractions, endless restaurants, evening entertainment, theme parks, malls, nature walks and parks. Subang's domestic and international airport is located only 10km from campus and offer links to destinations such a Singapore and tropical island Langkawi.
See some of our teacher’s experiences here.
Please apply through the online application form. CVs are not accepted.
Provide a supporting statement indicating why you would be a suitable candidate for the role detailing:
- your KS2 classroom and leadership experience; outlining of whole school impact and projects would be advantageous
- an explanation of what makes outstanding learning in KS2
- your vision for a KS2 year group in terms of environment, childhood experience and family partnerships
- ideas for maintaining the high profile of a KS2 year group internally, within the community and across the district
Qualified teacher status is essential.
Deadline for applications: Friday 23rd April 2021 at 11:59pm (KL Time, GMT +8).
The school will interview candidates of particular interest on receipt of applications and reserves the right to make offers of employment prior to the application deadline; prompt replies are encouraged as a strong field of applicants is anticipated.
Shortlisting and interview scheduling will commence from Wednesday 21st April 2021
Interviews (via video-call): commencing after Monday 26th April 2021
Suitable candidates who are currently based in Malaysia may be invited to face to face interviews if permitted by health guidelines and movement control at the time.
GEMS International School, Tropicana Metropark
GEMS Tropicana Metropark, Subang Jaya, Malaysia
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 18 years
GEMS Education Malaysia is an international education company that owns and operates high performing schools. It also offers consulting services to both the public and private sectors. For 50 years, GEMS Education has provided high quality education ...