Surbiton High School seeks a dynamic and outstanding Art Teacher, who is passionate about inspiring, encouraging and empowering our pupils to achieve their very best in the subject of Art.
Surbiton High School is a friendly and vibrant community where people matter, results count and where a passion for excellence drives everything we do. Our inspirational staff are dedicated to creating an intellectually rigorous and challenging academic environment, making Surbiton High School a place where a passion and energy abound, a school with a real heart and soul, where we look beyond the A* to offer a breadth of opportunity which allows every pupil and staff member to flourish.
- Create a challenging and stimulating classroom climate that will motivate pupils to learn, think independently, take risks, empathise with others, and perform to the best of their abilities.
- Support every pupil in his/her learning, making them feel included, secure and valued.
- Be consistent, fair and create an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect.
- Be aware of the learning needs of the pupils you teach and ensure that each pupil is given every opportunity to fulfil his/her potential.
- Monitor progress against prior attainment and employ effective intervention strategies when required.
- Follow the guidance and schemes of work provided by the Head of Department for KS3.
- Plan SOW to co-inside with the topics in KS2, consulting with KS2 class teacher and Art HOD.
- Promote and develop observational drawing skills; exploring a range of mediums and techniques.
- Share an understanding and appreciation of artist, designers and practitioners both historical and contemporary
- Undertake the preparation, marking and report writing, in line with the School policies, required to ensure that pupils achieve the highest possible standards.
- Contribute to the organisation, running of co-curricular, and enrichment activities for KS2 and KS3.
- Uphold the School’s code of conduct and the values of Surbiton High School.
- Maintain good order and discipline amongst pupils and be active in implementing the School’s policies on rewards and sanctions.
- Attend formal parents’ evenings and communicate with parents, at other times, as necessary.
- Work closely with other Departments.
- Contribute, as appropriate, to departmental policies, schemes of work, digital learning and other resources as well as development planning.
- Participate in the annual performance review, appraisal and development programme.
- Promote Prep School Art curriculum and teaching within and beyond the school community.
- Be responsible for all Prep school Art SOW
- Create links between the Prep Schools and Senior School, promoting continual development of skills and learning.
- Work with Director of Art on budget and creative need for Prep Schools.
- Deliver KS2 lessons in particular
- Primary trained teachers with a specialism in Art are welcome to apply
The successful candidate will be likely to fit the following profile:
- A postgraduate teaching qualification (QTS desirable but not essential)
- Evidence of further relevant professional development would be an advantage
- Applications from Primary trained teachers welcome
- The ability to inspire, motivate and support pupils and colleagues
- Have a vision for and the ability to translate the Surbiton High School strategy into reality
- Excellent organizational, administrative and ICT skills
- Experience of teaching Key Stage 2
- Evidence of successful, inspiring and innovative teaching at all levels
- Up-to-date knowledge of successful and innovative teaching and the latest curriculum developments and initiatives
- High levels of personal and professional integrity and the ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality
- Personal warmth to gain the confidence of pupils, staff and parents
- High standards of personal presence and presentation and attention to detail
- A reflective and flexible approach with the ability to think creatively and imaginatively
- Positive, enthusiastic and energetic approach to life, with a can-do attitude
- Committed to the Surbiton High School’s ethos
- High expectations for pupil attainment, personal development and conduct
- Committed to representing the strategic vision for the School
- Committed to professional development and show a willingness to undertake appropriate training
Surbiton High School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Please note that the School reserves the right to appoint at any stage during the recruitment process.
For any queries relating to the role or your application, please email email@example.com
Please apply online by clicking on the following:
Closing date for Applications: 12:00pm, 21 January 2019
Interviews to be held week commencing: 28 January 2019
Where support is better shared
United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12. Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB.