We are a highly successful, community mixed comprehensive school with Teaching School status in a pleasant rural setting only 5 miles from the centre of Cambridge. We currently have around 1800 11-18 pupils on roll including our sixth form centre that opened in September 2011.
Our pupils are well motivated, staff morale is excellent and examination results at KS4 are outstanding: in summer 2018 the total grades at 9-7/A*-A were 42%, 9-4/A*-C were 92% with 88% of pupils achieving at least a grade 4 in English and maths. Our Progress 8 figure in 2018 was +0.78 which placed us in the top 5% of all secondary schools. At KS5, the Sixth Form’s results are in the top 5% nationally for student progress made against predictors, with 36% of all grades in 2018 at A*/A grades. The school has consistently been rated by Ofsted as Outstanding over very many years; at the last full inspection we were rated as Outstanding in every measure.
We are seeking to appoint an excellent teacher to develop our leadership capacity within the maths department. Attainment in maths is exceptional: 89% of pupils were awarded at least a grade 4 at GCSE, with 40% awarded at least grade 7 and over 10% gaining the highest grade 9. At KS5, 35% of pupils were awarded at least a grade A and 88% of pupils awarded at least a grade C.
For suitably experienced candidates, we are able to offer the opportunity to teach lessons at Comberton Sixth Form. This could be teaching a class from our large cohort of A Level Maths or Further Maths pupils. As early adopters of the Core Maths qualification you could also teach this exciting new course.
Our philosophy is to play to the strengths in our team: we have colleagues who are involved with NRICH and the teaching of problem solving. Others specialise in sixth-form teaching and have attended or delivered the TAM or TFM courses. Comberton Village College is now an AMSP Partner school and an AMSP Area Coordinator is based at our college.
The department are involved with a number of NCETM and Maths Hub projects and have been working with ICCAMS to develop the early algebra skills in our youngest pupils. We are proud to be a teaching school and many members of the department have a significant focus on initial teacher education and continuing professional development. We look forward to welcoming new team members and the ideas they bring to the department.
We have a strong track record of supporting and developing our teaching staff. Our programme includes:
• Supporting colleagues moving into their first leadership role through the Developing Middle Leaders programme. Or, for those with more experience, the NPQML programme.
• For experienced teachers the school appreciates the need for time out to reflect on what makes excellent practice. Teachers are offered a place on the Developing Outstanding Teaching programme which features four days looking at high-level skills and strategies for the classroom including a focus on how coaching and mentoring can develop other colleagues and lead change in the department.
• Many of our maths teachers have been supported to complete their Master’s in Education degree.
• Access to the development opportunities offered through our teaching school alliance (camteach.org.uk) and our Maths Hub (cambridgemathshub.org).
This is an exciting time to join our maths department: Cam Academy Trust are proud to be the base for the Cambridge Maths Hub. In this role we are helping every school and college access locally-tailored and quality support to develop the teaching and learning of mathematics. Many new members of the Comberton Maths department have gone on to lead workgroups for the Maths Hub.
The post will become available from April 2019 and arises due to the ongoing growth of the school and trust. The person appointed will be expected to teach mathematics across all key stages at Comberton Village College. There may also be the potential opportunity to work in other secondary schools within the CAM Academy Trust.
We are seeking to appoint someone who has:
• good organisational skills
• excellent communication and presentational skills
• outstanding teaching ability
• excellent subject knowledge
• an understanding of current developments in maths education
• a commitment to contributing to the success of the whole college
• confidence in the use of ICT to enhance learning in the maths classroom
The post would provide excellent opportunity for personal development within a well organised and forward looking department and a school that has professional development as a core value.
As you will now be aware, we know our Maths Department is outstanding, but all of us are aware that a good department has to be constantly reviewing and developing its philosophy and practice.
The successful candidate will need to meet the requirements of the general teacher job description and person specification on the college website.
We believe the College can offer you a very good professional environment and a lively and friendly place in which to work. If you like what you have read and would like to be part of Comberton Village College, we would welcome your application.
All staff are inducted in child protection processes and have a responsibility to operate within the school’s framework in this.
If you would like to join us, please return your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, or via the post, by 9 am on Monday 14 January 2019. If you wish to discuss the post further or to arrange a visit, please contact Jamie Freeman, Head of Mathematics, at the College via email email@example.com