KS3 Maths teacher + any other subject (high functioning autism)
Southlands School in Lymington, Hampshire is an ambitious, progressive and caring independent residential and day school for young people aged 7– 19 with a primary diagnosis of high-functioning autism spectrum conditions, and other complex needs. Our school has huge potential and is looking to appoint a creative, forward-thinking teacher for September who shares our team’s commitment to excellence and to enabling the young people to achieve their personal best, however it is defined by them or for them.
Our school currently has 57 young people on roll, 37 of whom are in either 38 or 52 week residential placements, and 20 are day students. Young people at Southlands typically go on to achieve a range of GCSE qualifications alongside a multitude of accreditations such as ASDAN, Functional Skills, AQA awards, work experience and many others. At the heart of our school is a staff team who care deeply about the school and its young people, and are passionate about developing their individual skills and attributes, both academic and personal.
Our school is part of Cambian Children’s Services whose vision is to be the leading provider of specialist children’s services within the UK by strengthening their offering and expanding their portfolio across the country. This is an exciting time to join Cambian as it grows and develops and we want teachers who share our ambition and commitment to excellence. In October 2017 our school was rated “Good” in all areas by Ofsted.
Southlands School offers:
- Small classes of no more than 8 young people, with additional teaching assistant support;
- A comprehensive induction program including training in the school’s approaches to managing the needs of our young people;
- A beautiful New Forest setting and excellent facilities including a swimming pool, an angling pond and an outdoor gym;
- An on-site multidisciplinary therapy team including OT, Speech and Language, holistic therapy, psychology, psychiatry and a mental health practitioner;
- The opportunity to design a creative, bespoke curriculum which is student-focused rather than exams-led.
The ideal candidate will be:
- Committed to high quality teaching and learning, including the need to differentiate and adapt to meet the changing needs of our young people;
- Experienced in the delivery of KS3 Maths, including the new curriculum;
- Able to offer at least one other subject in addition to KS3 Maths, or experience in teaching a range of subjects to lower-ability KS3 pupils;
- Committed and ready to share good practice with all staff at the school across both care and education, to learn new approaches where needed, and to become an active member of the Southlands family;
- Calm, patient and consistent, but equally warm, nurturing and encouraging of all students and their interests, with an ability to incorporate these interests into lesson planning.
Above all you will share our school’s passion and belief that students, their learning, their care and developing their potential is at the heart of all we do. We are so proud of Southlands and we encourage you to visit for a tour, informal chat and the opportunity to meet some of our fantastic pupils prior to application.
Please telephone the school to arrange a visit and a chat with the Head of Education.