Job Description: Lead Practitioner English
Reports to: Assistant Principal
Start date: 1 September 2019
Location: Ark Globe Academy
Salary: Ark Leadership 2 - 6
Overview of the role:
The role of lead practitioner is critical to the continuing progress of the academy. It is essential to how we will achieve the highest standard of learning and teaching in every classroom. Lead practitioners are exemplary classroom practitioners who secure student outcomes for all and are able to teach students across key stages.
As part of the teaching and learning team, lead practitioners are involved in developing the classroom practice of teachers within the academy. They may work with a particular cohort of teachers, for example, trainees and may also have a remit within their subject specialism. Lead practitioners carry out individual coaching, delivering inset or training, as required.
- To develop and improve the practice of teachers so that inadequate teaching and teaching that requires improvement is eradicated
- To observe your coachee and provide high quality, diagnostic feedback that enables rapid improvement
- To alter your coaching method/style depending on the teacher you are working with
- To analyse and deconstruct the teaching and provide strategies that will impact on the areas for improvement
- To motivate and inspire your coachee to want to be outstanding
- To plan and lead inset to staff in line with the requirements of the academy
- To evaluate and measure the impact of the inset and provide follow up sessions that is informed by the evaluation
- To carry out learning walks with staff and to measure consistency across the academy - you will then use this to inform further training for staff.
- To develop and support effecting planning for schemes of learning.
Outcomes and Activities:
- To experiment and innovate exciting and effective new teaching and learning strategies.
- To conduct relevant research related to new practice.
- To strategically plan the coaching programme for each coachee.
- Sustain outstanding practice in your own classroom by constantly reflecting and refining.
- To create new and exciting resources.
- To model the outstanding practice and to be observed as necessary so that staff can develop their own understanding of what good or better learning looks like.
- To work collaboratively and creatively with the teaching and learning coaching team and SLT Lead.
- To seek out exceptional practice from other institutions so that we continually develop our practice.
- Use your learning to develop new and effective approaches to teaching and learning across the Academy.
- Deliver high quality training and inset sessions to new staff (all levels).
Disseminating best practice based on educational research
- Identifying educational research to enhance existing practices.
- Support teachers in creating positive behaviour management through good teaching.
- Co-ordinating the assessment and analysis of data and information and developing action planning.
- Co-ordinating the assessment strategies to address underachievement and reducing disaffection.
- Your appraisal targets will be directly linked to your impact on the people your coach and will be defined accordingly
- Your timetable allocation will be dependent on how many teachers you are coaching and the needs of the academy.
- You must continually demonstrate an unwavering commitment to the academy’s priorities and policies as modelled through your own actions and through your leadership of others
- Should your quality of teaching and learning not be sustained, this post will have to be re-considered accordingly.
- To undertake any other responsibilities as directed by the Principal.
Ark is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people in our academies. In order to meet this responsibility, we follow a rigorous selection process. This process is outlined here, but can be provided in more detail if requested. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.