Do you want to be part of a team, on an exciting ‘turnaround’ journey, where you will help make a lasting impact on our students, many of whom are disadvantaged, so they can make a success of their lives?
Do you want the opportunity to work across two academies, driving improvements in Maths standards and outcomes?
It is a very exciting time to join Avonbourne Academies and play a role in the transformational journey we are currently undergoing. The academies are part of United Learning, a large and growing group of schools aiming to offer a life changing education to children and young people across England.
Avonbourne Boys’ Academy, Avonbourne Girls’ Academy and Avonwood Primary all joined United Learning on the 1st August 2019. Avonbourne Girl’s Academy is currently graded as ‘Good’ by OFSTED. Avonbourne Boy’s Academy is a new academy and came into existence on the 1st August 2019. Harewood College, the predecessor school, was previously placed in Special Measures in February 2019.
We believe that all of the academies will provide an excellent education for all students by 2022. We are looking for someone that shares this belief and passionately believes that all children can achieve, no matter what their starting point, background or needs.
This positon provides a unique opportunity. We are working towards a co-location model, replicating the highly successful co-location model at Glenmoor and Winton Academies. The position provides a genuinely exciting opportunity to work across both an OFSTED ‘Good’ and OFSTED ‘Special Measures’ school at the same time. It therefore provides an excellent opportunity for an experienced, proven Maths teacher to further develop their career. You will work closely with the Maths teams across both academies, as well as the other academies in the United Learning Bournemouth and Poole Cluster.
The academies are all located together on the same campus in East Bournemouth. The campus is also home to United Sixth Form, a vibrant sixth form that provides a United Learning sixth form experience to students from across the United Learning Bournemouth and Poole cluster, as well as other external students.
The academies benefit from working very closely with Avonwood, Carter, Glenmoor, Winton and United Sixth Form Academies, as part of the United Learning Bournemouth and Poole cluster. We work as a team and achieve more, by sharing, than any single school could.
We are values-driven and our vision is to provide excellent education so that all young people are able to make a success of their lives. Our most important purpose is to teach young people things they would not learn outside school which empower them. We believe that ‘Knowledge Is Power’. We believe in teaching through explicit/direct instruction (Rosenshine and Engelmann) and utilising TLAC 2.0 techniques. Our mission is to bring out ‘the best in everyone’. We are unapologetically ambitious for every child, no matter what their background, prior attainment or needs. We also believe in ‘Education with Character’ – we want young people to look back on a schooling that has inspired and challenged them, given them wide opportunity and prepared them for the ups and downs of life. We are driven by ‘REACH’ values: Respect, Enthusiasm, Ambition, Confidence and Hardwork.
We value our staff highly, and treat workload very seriously. Our systems are high leverage, ensuring you can really focus on your core purpose – teaching, in a sustainable way, unhindered by bureaucracy or poor behaviour.
What we offer:
• The position provides a genuinely exciting opportunity to work across both an OFSTED ‘Good’ and OFSTED ‘Special Measures’ school at the same time
• Huge support and progression opportunities
• An exceptional salary, above the maintained sector
• The opportunity to save money across hundreds of major retailers, through Perkbox
• Disruption-free learning and a ‘warm:strict’ behaviour system
• Collaborative planning with centralised, shared units of work and resources
• Excellent Maths curriculum and resources produced by UL Maths subject leaders
• Excellent support from UL Maths national subject leaders
• Opportunity to teach up to A Level
• A feedback policy focused on whole class feedback – no onerous marking policies
• A centralised homework system at KS3 – you do not need to mark KS3 homework
• Same-day centralised detentions, including homework detentions (you do not need to organise/run/chase them at all)
• No formal graded lesson observations – just ongoing ‘no-stakes’ feedback, helping you to continuously develop
• Excellent ongoing CPD, career development and promotion opportunities across the United Learning Bournemouth and Poole academy cluster
• Opportunity to complete the NPQSL
• Up to 9 INSET days per year, dedicated to subject knowledge development and planning/resource development
• An unrivalled professional progression model
• A very pleasant location in beautiful Dorset
What we are looking for:
The successful candidate will be:
• An experienced and highly effective Maths teacher, with an excellent track record
• Aligned to our values and mission. If you are the type of person who fits with our culture, you will love working here
• Someone who passionately believes that all children can achieve, no matter what their starting point, background or needs. Someone that does not make excuses for what children can achieve.
We actively welcome visits and we would be delighted to show you around our Academies to fully appreciate our excellent learning environment.