Lead Practitioner of Mathematics
Start Date: September 2019
Closing Date: Monday 20th May 2019
Interviews Week Commencing 23rd May 2019
Salary LPS £44,207-£46,441
We are a successful and growing school which is looking to expand our team of creative, supportive and dynamic staff by appointing an inspirational Lead Practitioner of Mathematics.
The Mathematics department is keen to expand their team to include a teacher who can professionally develop staff across the department and also across the wider school.
The Portsmouth Academy is keen to grow the culture of coaching even further over the coming year and are creating a Teaching and Learning Drive team to really build on the already excellent practice seen across the school, using TSAT’s own ‘7 Principles of Thinking and Learning’. The role of Lead Practitioner of Mathematics would be a fundamental part of this team.
This position is a great opportunity for the right candidate to step into a leadership position, very much focused on the core business of what we do – teaching and learning.
It is an exciting time to join The Portsmouth Academy, with work having just begun on our £5.3 million new build which will create space and resources for a number of subjects.
The Thinking Schools Academy Trust is in the top 10 Multi-Academy Trusts for KS4 progress
Ofsted April 2017 – The Portsmouth Academy is a GOOD school with OUTSTANDING leadership and management.
We became a co-educational establishment from September 2017. Our aim is to transform the life chances of our pupils through our motto of ‘Aspire and Achieve’.
The good behaviour of our students, and collegiate atmosphere amongst staff, makes the Academy a wonderful place to work. We are part of the Thinking Schools Academy Trust, an expanding family of primary and secondary schools within the Portsmouth area and have recently achieved fully accredited Thinking School status from the University of Exeter.
View our latest video to gain an insight into The Portsmouth Academy and The Thinking Schools Academy Trust
The ideal candidate will:
• Be a qualified and highly experienced Mathematics Teacher.
• Be able to consistently deliver good or outstanding practice.
• Be experienced in planning an appropriate and challenging curriculum.
• Have a thorough knowledge of present curriculum developments, particularly those relating to Maths.
• Be an inspiring teacher with real enthusiasm for the subject.
• Be able to motivate his/her pupils.
• Be committed to high standards for both staff and students.
• Have excellent knowledge/experience of teaching Maths.
• Have experience of coaching and developing other staff professionally, this may be through ITT or NQT standards, and/or more experienced staff.
• Alongside the Associate Leader for Maths identify areas for development for the Maths team and design and lead on professional development.
• Support the Assistant Principal for Teaching and Learning in developing a coaching culture across the wider school.
• Lead whole school CPD sessions, where appropriate.
• Be prepared to implement and support all Academy policies.
• Ensure that the standards of teaching and learning across the Maths department are Good and Outstanding through coaching and quality assurance processes.
• Collaborate with other leaders and managers in raising standards within the curriculum to Good and Outstanding including all student groups.
What we can offer you:
• An excellent environment for learning and teaching. The Portsmouth Academy has undergone major refurbishment and a further building phase will commence in 2019 including a state of the art new building with fantastic facilities to house, art music and drama.
• We place a strong emphasis on “Wellbeing for Staff” here at The Portsmouth Academy and were proud to receive the Wellbeing award at the recent Teach Portsmouth Awards. Our Wellbeing strategy consists of regular opportunities to participate in on site activities such as Pilates, Ceramics and Football each week.
• Progress is significantly above the national average in a range of subjects.
• Teachers are provided with above 10% PPA and they are designated allocated marking time.
• With an outstanding Leadership and Management team, we are focused on providing our staff with bespoke CPD tailored to the stage they are at in their career.
• The Academy has a strong history of working with the Institute of Education around the NPQ leadership qualifications.
• The Trust has designed our own leadership pathway, ‘Think Ahead’ to support the development and retention of future leaders.
• The Academy operates a very clear behaviour structure and pupil’s conduct in lessons and around the school is excellent. – Ofsted 2017
• Support from across the Trust to help you deliver outstanding practice through resources, mentoring and school visits.
• We work closely with Teach Portsmouth,The Portsmouth Education Partnership and Portsmouth Teaching Schools Alliance.
• The Trust holds regular CPD events.
• A 24/7 employee assistance programme which provides counselling and support / advice on a wide array of areas.
• Onsite parking free of charge.
Early applications are encouraged and we reserve the right to close the vacancy if a suitable candidate is found.
Visits to the Academy are encouraged. To arrange a visit to the Academy please contact Sue Wood Executive PA on 02392 812822.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.