Acorn Park is an independent, specialist day and residential school that caters for children and young people aged 4 – 19 years who have autism and associated difficulties. We have a deservedly good reputation with parents and placing authorities for meeting the needs of children and young people who also have moderate or severe learning difficulties, and whose behaviour can be challenging.
Our outstanding group of teachers, care staff, learning support assistants, therapists and psychology staff work together as an integrated team, with the young person at the heart of everything we do.
To work throughout the Education Department supporting Class Teachers to ensure the entitlement of the children and young people to a broad-based appropriate curriculum which meets their discrete needs and learning styles.
Main Responsibilities Education & Residential:
- To ensure high standards of personal hygiene for each student and support them with personal care needs
- To promote structure, boundaries and domestic routines; ensuring a pleasant, clean and safe environment for the students in your care
- To maintain good professional relationships with other members of staff and other interested parties including parents, families, social services and key stakeholders.
- To provide a positive role model for the students, presenting yourself in a highly professional manner throughout the waking day
- To work in accordance with the National Minimum Care Standards for Children’s homes and co-operate with any inspection process
- Ensure the respect, dignity and rights to privacy of all students as far as is reasonably practical
- To carry out all duties, as directed by the class teachers to maximise learning opportunities for all children and young people
- To support the development of high standards of personal hygiene and self help skills for all children and young people
- To support the development of communication skills by implementing communication goals in collaboration with Education, Multi-disciplinary team, Residential and Respite staff
- To assist with target setting, record keeping and assessment in classes
- To support the teacher in completing reports for Statutory Reviews and meetings concerning the children and young people
- To assist with the preparation of materials and learning resources
- To work with individual children and young people and small groups under the direction and planning of the teachers
- To assist with the recording of observations, using the school format and guidelines at the request of teachers
- To be a role model at all times to the children and young people
- To ensure with colleagues that the school is a pleasant, happy and safe environment
- To assist with home/school liaison
- To assist with the supervision of children and young people outside classroom activities, e.g. meal times and recreation times
- To facilitate communication and positive interaction with children and young people - both in and out of classrooms
- To support the development of resources/materials
- To contribute to Risk Assessments for activities and Educational visits
- To undertake relevant training programmes as and when required by the School
- To work in partnership with colleagues and other professionals to meet the social, emotional, education, health and mental health needs of the children, young people and yourself
- When requested, to accompany the students to Medical and other appointments
- All post holders will be expected to observe/contribute to the residential provision as part of their induction process
- To attend and participate in supervision, performance appraisal and staff meetings as required
- To follow policies, procedures and guidelines of Acorn Park
All contact staff will be expected to a wear uniform currently sweatshirt and/or polo shirt. This uniform is will normally be provided by the school.
The duties and responsibilities outlined above do not represent a full list of the tasks the post holder will be expected to perform. It is also recognised that the duties of all posts are subject to change from time to time. Alterations to duties and responsibilities and performance of similar tasks within the scope of and at the same level will be expected.
It is expected that this job description will be regularly reviewed by the post holder and his/her manager. These discussions will normally take place during the Staff Development Review interview.
Acorn Care and Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the children and young people in our care. Successful applicants will be subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service check.