Salary: UCL Academy Scale 4, Spine Point 7 £24,279 pro rata to term time only (£21,092.74)
Required: As soon as possible
Contract Type: Fixed until 31st August 2021 in the first instance, full-time and term time only
Location: Swiss Cottage, London Borough of Camden
“The school’s work to promote pupils’ personal development and welfare is outstanding” OFSTED 2016
Are you an empathic and innovative individual with a passion for supporting pupils, particularly with special educational needs? Would you be interested in working at an Academy that offers unique links to UCL and an innovative connected curriculum and collaborative approach for all students?
The UCL Academy’s SEND department are committed to recruiting talented, highly skilled individuals to support the provision for students in need of learning support and thus are now seeking additional Learning Support Assistants (LSAs) to join their team. The successful candidates should be motivated, confident, can take initiative and build strong relationships with both students and staff alike. Ideally, although not exclusively, we would prefer candidates who have people manual handling training.
Combining subject knowledge with an expertise in four broad specialist areas: ASD, SEMH, Physical & Sensory and SLCN, the LSA team (consisting of Lead LSAs and LSAs), SEND Officer and SEND teachers are deployed by the Deputy SENDCos for Key Stage 3 and Key Stage 4 to support pupils in accessing the broad and balanced curriculum offered to all learners at the Academy. The appointed candidate(s) will have the opportunity to join a highly inclusive school with a high number of students with EHCPs, working across the Academy to support the teaching and learning of SEND students across the Curriculum.
What We Offer
• Amazing pupils, with a wide spectrum of strengths and barriers across the four Broad Areas of Need
• An experienced team of Deputy SENCos (KS3 & KS4), a SEND Administrator, Lead Learning Assistants with specialisms in each of the Four Broad Areas, and a team of Learning assistants committed to the best outcomes for our students;
• State-of-the-art classroom technology – including our unique Superstudios, subject specialism suites and demonstration; theatres for interactive teaching talks by visiting academics;
• Unlimited access to opportunities for self-development and intensive weekly Continuing Professional Learning;
• A whole school wellbeing strategy;
• An exclusive partnership with UCL where staff have access to unrivalled University libraries and resources;
• Suitable IT equipment for all teaching and support staff;
• A generous health care plan, including reimbursement for optical, dental, physiotherapy and a range of other areas, 24/7 GP access, free counselling and discounted membership at over 2,000 gyms nationwide;
• Cycle to Work scheme with ample space for bike storage;
• Transport for London Season ticket loans available upon request.
What We Want
• Have a clear understanding of the diverse needs of students and knows how to address them;
• Work with individuals and small SEND groups with a dynamic intervention approach;
• Work with teaching staff in the development of appropriate resources for use in individual/group sessions to support the learning of targeted students;
• A commitment to developing your own specialist knowledge and have a sound understanding of how SEND children learn;
• Communicate with parents/carers (where applicable) and staff regarding key students’ work and progress.
Salary: The UCL Academy Support Staff Scale 4, Spine Point 7-10
How To Apply
To apply please complete and submit a detailed application form, through the ‘quick link’ provided. If you have any questions regarding the role you may contact Zaheer Ahmad, Recruitment Coordinator at 0207 449 3080 (ext. 3134) for further information. Your application is a direct application to The UCL Academy.
Closing Date: 18 January 2021 at 9am
The Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. All appointments will be subject to receipt of satisfactory Enhanced DBS check, pre-employment checks and a probation period.
Please note that if you have not heard from the Academy within 2 weeks after the closing date, please assume you have been unsuccessful.
The UCL Academy, Camden
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- Secondary School
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 18 years
The UCL Academy is sponsored by UCL, a world-class, multifaculty, research-led university. UCL's vision is an innovative Academy for pupils aged 11 to 18. We are a comprehensive, co-educational, non-denominational, fully inclusive and an active membe...