35 hours per week 8.30am – 4.30pm 39 weeks per year (term time only)
Temporary until 17th July 2018*
We require a caring, enthusiastic and skilled person to join our Learning Support team to provide support working with 16-19 year olds who are undertaking an A Level programme of study. You will aid us in delivering one to one support in the classroom in order to provide a meaningful and relevant curriculum to meet the needs of our higher-level needs students. Work may be carried out in the classroom or outside the main teaching area and may include physical and domestic help where appropriate.
*This is a fixed term temporary contract until 17th July 2018 in the first instance and is subject to the attendance of the funded students at College and the continuance of external funding.
Purpose of the post
Working in partnership with the teachers and College community in line with College policies, codes of practice and national curriculum guidelines to provide support for students with different special educational needs. The post holder will be a member of a small learning support team and undertake general learning support duties when not required by an individual learner.
Duties and responsibilities
1. Provide specialist Learning support relevant to the needs of the student (for instance in the area of Asperger’s, Autism, Dyslexia etc.).
2. Support students to understand instruction
3. Encourage students to interact with others and engage in activities led by the teacher
4. Encourage students to act independently to promote self-esteem and independence
5. Undertake structured and agreed learning activities, adjusting activities according to student responses
6. Assist with the development and implementation of individual support plans as required to achieve independent learning and emotional wellbeing for identified students.
7. Note taking, accessing resources and if necessary helping to break tasks down into simple steps, implementing planned learning activities as agreed with the class teacher
8. To support learning by selecting appropriate resource methods to facilitate agreed learning objectives.
9. To maintain student records as and when required.
10. Provide ‘hover’ support as appropriate, either within a class or possibly in a social setting.
11. To provide undertake aspects of students personal care if appropriate.
12. To undertake regular appropriate training, including personal care and use of a hoist training, at times specified by the College.
13. In the absence of the learner(s), to undertake other work within the Learning Support department as directed by the Director of Learning Support.
14. To undertake any such other duties as may reasonably be requested by management, commensurate with the post.
Responsible to: Director of Learning Support
Special conditions/Points to note
- The above are the main areas of responsibility and are not intended to be a comprehensive list of all administrative duties which are seen as part of the post
- The purpose of the job description is to indicate the general level of duties and responsibility of the post. The detailed duties may vary from time to time without changing the general character or level of responsibility entailed
- All duties must be carried out in accordance with relevant Health and Safety legislation and good practice
- The college is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of Children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment.
1. Educated to at least GCSE level including Maths and English qualifications.
2. A willingness to support students with care needs is also required.
3. Able to work constructively as part of a multi-disciplinary team
4. Flexible in your working practice
1. Educated to A Level standard or above
2. Practical experience of working with students/young adults with disabilities or learning needs
3. A relevant qualification e.g. NNEB, BTEC National Diploma in Childcare, NVQ Level 3 Supporting Teaching & Learning in Schools or equivalent.
Further details about the College are available on the College website www.colchsfc.ac.uk
To apply for this post a College Application Form must be completed (unaccompanied CV’s will not be accepted). Application forms are available from the job vacancies section of the College website and once completed should be submitted by e-mail to the Human Resources Department at email@example.com or by mail to:-
Human Resources Department
The Sixth Form College, Colchester
Essex CO1 1SN
CLOSING DATE: Midday Friday 8th December 2017
The college is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. Offers are subject to pre-employment checks including an enhanced DBS check.