34 hours per week - term time only plus 5 days
Job Purpose: Under the instruction/guidance of the Headteacher, teacher or Inclusion Manager /Senco and within the overall ethos of the Academy, undertake care and learning programmes and activities to support individuals or groups of pupils, including more specific support for those with special education needs. Enable access to learning for pupils and assist the teacher in the management of students and the classroom. Work may be carried out in the classroom or in other teaching areas.
In relation to the individual student
• To develop an understanding of the special educational needs of the student/s concerned
• To take into account the pupil/s’ special needs and ensure their access to the lesson and its content through appropriate clarification, explanations, equipment and materials
• To build and maintain successful relationships with pupils, treat them consistently, with respect and consideration.
• To help promote independent learning
• To help reinforce learning
• To assist students with physical needs
• To help pupils record work in an appropriate way
• To develop study and organisational skills
• To help keep the pupils on task and to build motivation
• To model good practice
• To help build the pupil/s’ confidence and enhance self esteem
• To have formal and informal meetings with teachers to contribute to planning lessons/activities
• To prepare materials and resources
• To prepare students beforehand for a task
• Use strategies, liaison with the teacher, to support pupils to achieve learning goals.
• To work on differentiated activities with identified groups
• To support the teacher in implementing specific teaching programmes
• To supervise practical tasks
• To carry out structured classroom assessment/ observation and feedback outcomes
• To be involved in keeping records and evaluating identified pupils’ progress
• To work as part of the team in relation to individual pupils, liaising, advising and consulting where appropriate
• To support implementation of school policies and procedures, including those relating to confidentiality and behaviour
• To identify personal training needs and to attend appropriate internal and external in-service training
• Provide support to the Class teacher
Any other tasks as directed by the Head teacher which fall within the range of the post.
To undertake any other duties that may be reasonably deemed part of the role.
To undertake such other duties, training and/or hours of work as may well be reasonably required and which are consistent with the role i.e. after school club.
To participate in performance management arrangements.
To adhere to published school policies and procedures.
To attend regular meetings with line manager.