HOURS: 32 hours per week – Term time only plus 5 training days. Monday 8:30-4:00 Tuesday to Friday 8.30 a.m. to 3.15 p.m.
To provide structured support and guidance in the development of our students' academic and social needs
To provide in-class support to our teachers and delivery practitioners
To assist with lunchtime supervision
To assist with after school and break duties as part of the rota
To assist with the tutorial programme as a co-tutor
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. To develop an understanding of the special educational needs of the student/s concerned
2. To take into account the student/s’ special needs and ensure their access to the lesson and its content through appropriate clarification, explanations, equipment and materials
3. To build and maintain successful relationships with students, treat them consistently, with respect, dignity and consideration.
4. To strive towards the development of independent learning for our students
5. To support in the reinforcement of learning
6. To assist students with personal care, medical and physical needs, both in and out of the classroom
7. To help students record work in ways appropriate to their needs and level
8. To support in the assessment of Student Support Plans and targets
9. To inspire positive attitudes, developing self-belief and building motivation
10. To model good practice in effective learning to keep students on task
11. To contribute towards the rewards system, capturing students being successful
12. To have formal and informal meetings with teachers to contribute to planning lessons/activities
13. To support in the preparation of materials and resources that can reach a variety of students of different levels of ability.
14. To prepare students beforehand for a task
15. To apply total communication strategies that support and develop understanding
16. To work on differentiated activities with identified groups
17. To support the teacher in implementing specific teaching programmes
18. To supervise practical tasks
19. To carry out structured classroom assessment/ observation and feedback outcomes
20. To be involved in keeping records and evaluating identified students’ progress
21. To work as part of the team in relation to individual students, liaising, advising and consulting where appropriate
22. To support implementation of school policies and procedures, including those relating to confidentiality and behaviour
23 To identify personal training needs and to attend appropriate internal and external in-service training
24. Provide support to a form tutor as a co-tutor
25. Encourage students to interact and work cooperatively with others and engage all students in activities.
26. Play an active role in the support of positive behaviour management of students both in and out of the classroom, reporting issues as appropriate.
27. To develop communications with parents, both written and verbal
28. Support in the examinations arrangements acting as a reader, prompt or scribe.
29. To embrace and adopt our 10 Professional Core Standards and seek to develop your skills, qualities and practice within this structure so that you can better serve our students.
In addition, any other tasks as directed by the Head Teacher which fall within the range of the post.