Learning Support Assistant
We are currently looking for an enthusiastic and self-motivated Learning Support Assistant to start in September 2019. This role would suit a candidate with strong special educational needs or ASD experience or a recent graduate looking to do a PGCE course in the future who is interested in ASD. The position is part-time (4 hours): 12:30pm-4:30pm.
The successful candidate will work within a class to support a Year 5 child to learn socially both individually, in small groups and the whole class setting. They will need to:
- Following the guide of the class teacher to provide a safe and supportive environment for the supported child to learn both individually and in small groups.
- Writing, alongside of the teacher, an Individual Learning Plan that provides specific, short term achievable targets for priority areas of learning.
- Monitor progress in assimilating new information. Liaise with the teacher if opportunities are required for the child to revisit and practise areas of learning, or if they need to be introduced to new learning experiences individually in advance of the class/group.
- Facilitate between parents, school and outside agencies working with the child, ensuring there is effective communication and continuity in approach.
- Implement programmes provided by external therapists.
- Write and deliver social stories, keeping an awareness of current and up-coming challenging scenarios.
- Attend with and guide the learner in sporting endeavours and outside learning opportunities.
- Facilitate communication and shared play but with awareness of the other children in the group.
- Ensure that the child has opportunities to develop their skills as an independent learner.
- Supervise at breaks, specifically at bathroom time, and be available to help if assistance is needed with any of the equipment.
- Supervise the child when on the street, trips out or in an unfamiliar environment but with awareness of the other children in the group.
- Form good relationships with not only the class teacher but all members of staff.
Chepstow House School is an established 3 form entry, Coed Prep with a nursery attached and outstanding facilities within the Notting Hill Gate area. It is a growing school offering opportunities for staff development and career progression. It is part of the Alpha Plus Group, which is one of the country's leading educational groups.
The aim of the school is to provide a broad and balanced curriculum that enables each child to achieve their full potential in a happy and caring environment. Chepstow House aims to discover the best in every child and challenge them to go beyond their expectations.
Chepstow House School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. The successful applicant will need to obtain an enhanced disclosure via the DBS and have DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) clearance.
References will be taken up and will be carefully checked.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Closing date for applications - 16th June 2019