Lecturer of Geography inc. Environmental Science - 3 month fixed term: or permanent Head of Geography/Env.Sci post for suitable candidate
School of Environmental & Animal Sciences
This is an exciting opportunity for an outstanding teacher to join a well-established and successful Earth Sciences team at one of the top colleges in the south west. Our Earth Sciences team work closely together to deliver our Geography, Environmental Science & Geology A Levels. Our Geography department has approx. 200 students & has consistently been one of the college’s high performing courses. Our Environmental Science course is seeing something of a resurgence in numbers & we are seeking a member of staff who can help sustain this growth and help build on the success within both subjects.
We are a well-resourced department & the successful applicant can be assured of a high levels of support from both the team and line manager.
The successful candidate will have a real commitment to Geography and Environmental Science. Although experience of teaching both subjects is desirable, this is not essential for the position.
The post holder will be expected to:
- Engage & enthuse students through delivering interesting & exciting lessons that switch students on to the Earth Sciences.
- Work as part of a close-knit team to develop fieldwork opportunities for students and create lesson resources.
- Actively promote Geography & Environmental Science at internal & external events to help grow the provision.
- Offer the very best support & guidance to students in their role as both classroom lecturer and as a Personal Tutor.
For the Head of Geography/Env.Science position, the candidate should also be able to:
- Manage the Geography & Environmental Science staff & courses effectively, demonstrating an enthusiasm & drive to grow the courses & further increase student success.
- Demonstrate an excellent level of teaching themselves and work with the rest of the team to develop resources that both engage & enthuse learners.
- Actively promote Geography & Environmental Science at internal & external events to grow the provision.
Candidates should have a commitment to providing a high quality learning environment that is designed to enable all learners to achieve their full potential. Quality assurance is a key priority for the College and therefore the ability to truly work as a team player is essential. The post holder will be expected to demonstrate outstanding organisational and interpersonal skills.
Candidates should possess a good honours degree (or equivalent) in a related subject and hold a PGCE or other level 4 teaching qualification, or a commitment to obtain a suitable qualification.