We are looking for a reliable, committed, highly organised, methodical individual who is passionate about working with students, building a culture of reading and research, using innovative ideas in creative ways and delivering excellence.
As a Library Assistant, you will be contributing to the ongoing development and delivery of Resource Centre services supported by ISL. The role will require the successful candidate to oversee the Resource Centre on the main campus on a daily basis with support from the Head of Resource Centre. The ideal candidate would be looking to take an active role in their own professional development and career development. The role would be suitable for a candidate with experience or for someone who is looking to start a career in the library and information field.
The International School of London is a culturally diverse community which fosters a passion and enthusiasm for learning. Our core values are: Diversity, Understanding, Identity and Passion. Students' cultural and linguistic identities are valued and nurtured through our international curriculum. We are committed to the growth and development of every child and respect and support their individual needs. We aim to help students develop the attitudes, skills and understanding needed for active and responsible contributions to both local and global communities.
As Library Assistant, you will:
• Staff the libraries as required with support from the Head of Resource Centre
• Support a positive, collaborative and reflective learning environment for a range of learning and instructional styles
• Collaborate with subject specialist staff to run age-appropriate scope and sequence/skills continuum sessions for Information Literacy and Digital Literacy throughout PYP and MYP with support from the Head of Resource Centre
• Support whole-school academic honesty and integrity practices
• Assist in monitoring library usage with regard to subject, year groups, etc.
• Support the Head of Resource Centre to appraise stock in line with policies and curriculum need
• Day-to-day usage of the Library Management System
• Support the running of a Student Librarian Programme with PYP and MYP students
• Support students and staff in using online resources, databases and subscriptions
• Support reading and reader development across the school
• Helping to ensure equality of access for all students and staff to high quality learning resources
• Supervise students using the resource centre for independent study
• Shelving, admin and other duties to assist the Head of Resource Centre as required
• Exploiting every opportunity for own Professional Development, sharing training opportunities with colleagues, maintaining an awareness of current developments in information and library management, education and children’s literature
• Working both independently and as part of a team
To be successful in this role you will have:
• GCSE English and Mathematics at Grade 4 (or equivalent)
• Good interpersonal skills with the ability to work as part of a team
• Organisational skills and the ability to work to deadlines
• Good IT skills, specifically Microsoft Office, and the ability to learn new systems
• Ability to work with small and larger groups of students of primary and secondary age
• A flexible approach to working with staff and students
A strong emphasis is placed on user support and all provision is targeted as closely as possible to user needs. In line with the School’s strategic direction on information management, further emphasis is now being placed on the importance of increased electronic information provision, with a view to making more effective provision in some areas and developing new provision in others.
Location: ISL London Main campus
Contract type: Permanent, Full-time, term time only
Closing date for applications: Monday 21st January 2019
(ISL reserves the right to make an early appointment should an outstanding candidate be found)