We are looking for a committed and enthusiastic library assistant to support the provision of library services to meet the teaching, learning and research requirements of the Academy.
You will work as part of a small team to provide front-line library services, working directly with students, academic and administrative staff, and assist with the day-to-day administration of the library. While enthusiasm for the subject matter is a bonus, commitment to customer service is essential. The administrative aspects of this role also require attention to detail and a thorough work ethic.
The ideal candidate will have several years of customer service experience, ideally in a library or academic setting. You will have a flexible and proactive work ethic, and be driven to create the best learning environment possible. Instructional experience and skill are a strong asset. Knowledge of art and fashion is an asset. Shifts will be weekday only, but will include evenings. Working hours may vary in accordance with the requirements of your role, staff sickness or leave.
Fashion Retail Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Run the circulation desk independently utilizing the existing library management system (issue, return, reserve material and collect fines)
- Address routine enquiries, in person, on the phone and via email
- Maintain student and staff records in library management system
- Prepare formal reports on library goings-on, as necessary
- Prepare resource guides and other Reader Advisory material
- Monitor student behaviour in library, computer labs and quiet study areas
- Aid in the selection of material for acquisition
- Maintain the library space through construction of displays, shelf-tidying, and some shelving.
- Assist with a rolling programme of library inductions for both staff and students
- Run information literacy workshops for students
- Promote library materials to staff and students through outreach initiatives
- Undertake health and safety duties and responsibilities appropriate to the post.
- Commits to the Academy’s Equal Opportunities Policy, together with an understanding of how it operates within the responsibilities of this post.