Required for August 2018
One of seventeen in the movement, UWC Atlantic College, founded in 1962, is the original United World College. Perched above the Bristol Channel approximately 20 miles west of Cardiff, our 360 students study the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP) and take part in an outstanding co-curricular programme in support of the UWC mission. Enjoying a spectacular location at St. Donat’s Castle, the 16 – 19 year olds are drawn from over 90 nationalities, with 60% of our students being non-native English speakers.
We are incredibly proud of our proven track record of outstanding results and commitment to experiential learning.
We want to appoint a qualified and dynamic Mathematics Teacher who is internationally-minded with a demonstrable passion for and deep understanding of the UWC mission and values. Deliberate diversity is at the heart of the UWC model of education and experience living and working abroad is considered an asset.
As the Head of Faculty post for IB Group 5 (Maths) will be vacant from August 2018, the successful candidate will be able to apply for that position when it is advertised. The Head of Faculty carries an additional annual allowance of £4,400.
• Be suitably qualified to teach IB Maths at both the Higher and the Standard levels
• Inspire and lead students to ensure they are motivated and enjoy participating in lessons and are given appropriate opportunities to develop their potential in a positive, innovative and effective working environment
• Show sensitivity and insight into social / emotional / cultural matters of a diverse student population • Be familiar with digital technologies for learning and teaching
• Have knowledge of relevant assessment procedures and methods
• Participate fully as a team member in the faculty and whole College
• Be able to communicate effectively with all members of the College community
Some main tasks / responsibilities, amongst others, are:
• Being an enthusiastic member of the College’s faculty, supporting students in academic, pastoral and others matters
• Collaborating with class teachers and other employees to provide in-class support and guidance
• Acting as a Personal Tutor and to playing a full role in supporting the needs of 10 tutees outside of the classroom
• Participating in the co-curricular programme according to the needs of the College including a weekly commitment to service
• Ensuring all projected grades are submitted on time, internal moderation procedures are carried out effectively and accurate records of achievement are maintained
• Teaching lessons in accordance with the College’s requirements
• Planning, preparing and delivering lessons that follow the Faculty’s scheme of work
• Ensuring that lessons are suitably differentiated and appropriate to serve the needs of all members of the class
• Marking student work on a regular and timely basis in accordance with faculty and College assessment policies
• Maintaining accurate records for classes, including registering and results
The employment package will be commensurate with the responsibilities of the position and will include the following elements:
Salary £23,968 – £40,560 per annum depending on previous experience and qualifications Teachers’ Pension Scheme membership College holiday closures Full Time position
Accommodation on campus may be available for successful candidates for which a charge is made for rent and utilities etc
Further information about this position, including details of how to apply, is available on our website www.atlanticcollege.org/careers
Closing date for receipt of applications: 12 noon on 20 April 2018
The selection process will be held on one day, 2 May 2018 and will consist of an observed lesson, a tour of the College and an interview. It is important that shortlisted candidates are able to attend the interview at the College in person. UWC Atlantic College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people.
Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service. Registered
Charity Number: 525761