Salary: MPS/UPS plus there is the possibility of a TLR
We are a highly successful, community mixed comprehensive school with Teaching School status in a pleasant rural setting only 5 miles from the centre of Cambridge. We currently have around 1700 11-18 pupils on roll including our sixth form centre that opened in September 2011.
Our pupils are well motivated, staff morale is excellent and examination results at KS4 are outstanding: in summer 2017 the total grades at A*-A/9-7 were 39%, A*-C/9-4 were 84% with 80% of pupils achieving grade 4 in English and maths. Our Progress 8 figure in 2017 was +0.57 which placed us in the top 5% of all schools. At KS5, the Sixth Form’s results are in the top 5% nationally for student progress made against predictors, with 40% of all grades in 2017 at A*/A grades. The school has consistently been rated by Ofsted as Outstanding over very many years; at the last full inspection we were rated as Outstanding in every measure.
We are seeking to appoint an excellent teacher to join our vibrant, friendly and successful mathematics department. Our philosophy is to play to the strengths in our team: we have colleagues who are involved with NRICH and the teaching of problem solving. Others specialise in sixth-form teaching and have attended or delivered the TAM or TFM courses. We are involved with a number of NCETM projects and are working with ICCAMS to develop the early algebra skills in our youngest pupils. We are proud to be a teaching school and many members of the department are heavily focussed in initial teacher education and continuing professional development. Our teaching is grounded in research and because of this we are institutional members of the MA and the ATM. We look forward to welcoming new team members and the ideas they bring to the department.
Attainment in maths is exceptional: 88% of pupils were awarded at least a grade 4 at GCSE, with 35% awarded at least grade 7 and over 11% gaining the highest grade 9. At KS5, 43% of pupils were awarded at least a grade A and 89% of pupils awarded at least a grade C.
For the right candidate, we are able to offer the opportunity to teach lessons at Comberton Sixth Form. This could be teaching a class from our large cohort of A Level Maths or Further Maths pupils. As early adopters of the Core Maths qualification you could also teach this exciting new course.
We have a strong track record of supporting and developing our teaching staff. Our programme includes:
· Continuing support for those in their RQT years through a guaranteed place on the highly-rated Developing Effecting Teaching programme. This includes four days of specialist pedagogic support and observation opportunities.
· RQTs also benefit from additional non-contact time that can be used for coaching, observation and co-planning with an identified coach drawn from the experienced staff in the maths department.
· For experienced teachers the school appreciates the need for time out to reflect on what makes excellent practice. Teachers are offered a place on the Developing Outstanding Teaching programme which features four days looking at high-level skills and strategies for the classroom including a focus on how coaching and mentoring can develop other colleagues and lead change in the department.
· Many of our maths teachers have been supported to complete their Master’s in Education degree.
· Access to the development opportunities offered through our teaching school alliance (camteach.org.uk) and our Maths Hub (cambridgemathshub.org).
This is an exciting time to join our maths department: The Cam Academy Trust are proud to be the base for the Cambridge Maths Hub. In this role we are helping every school and college access locally-tailored and quality support to develop the teaching and learning of mathematics. Many new members of the Comberton maths department have gone on to lead workgroups for the Maths Hub.