Reports to: Senior School Partner (Sparx) + Head of Maths, Exeter - for teaching provision
Sparx is a research-based educational technology company. We are using technology, data and real-world observations to investigate the way young people learn. Sparx is about helping to create a society that is equipped with the skills to solve the problems the world is facing. We are creating rapidly scalable and affordable structures which improve motivation and learning and are developed and proven using rigorous scientific methods. Our aim is to improve the lives of 1 million people through education over the coming few years.
About the Role
This is a maths teaching role with a difference, offering a unique and exciting opportunity for a teacher of maths to become part of something cutting edge!
The first year of this role will be spent as a full-time teacher in one of our partner schools, where you will use Sparx products to deliver your lessons whilst also acting as brand ambassador.
From year two you will use your insight and knowledge gained from this experience to help Sparx going forward and join as a full time member of either our School Partnership or Customer Service Team.
Ultimately, the key purpose of this role is to ensure that students, regardless of their social or cultural background, are motivated to succeed and make outstanding progress through creative, relevant and innovative teaching and learning.
- To teach Maths across the school’s age and ability range, in accordance with the requirements of a professionally qualified teacher (year one only)
- Identify ways to improve Sparx products and how they can be used/deployed within the school environment.
- Collaborate with the Sparx School Partnership Team to feedback on what’s working (and what’s not) through the analysis of school lessons and associated data.
- Develop and maintain successful relationship between Sparx, its Partner schools and customers.
- Build connections in the education industry and raise awareness across key stakeholders such as maths teachers, trust management and trade organizations
- Provide in-lesson support and training for teachers within schools using the Sparx system.
- Engage in adhoc projects as required
We welcome applications from both newly qualified and experienced teachers’ who enjoy inspiring young learners, have the motivation and dedication to see each child achieve their full potential and easily builds rapport with pupils, fellow colleagues and parents alike. You’ll enjoy working in a team and be passionate and dedicated about their work. You must be a self-motivator, reliable and creative.
You are a whirlwind of activity: proactive, dynamic and enthusiastic with the ability to multi- task. You will focus on the detail of planning and delivering lessons, without losing sight of the bigger picture. You will thrive under pressure and are used to fast-paced environments. In addition, you can adapt in the face of changing priorities.
In terms of specifics, the list below gives an overview of the skills and experiences we are looking for:
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Maths, Science or any relevant technical degree
- QTS or equivalent
- Recent and relevant teaching of good to outstanding lessons at Key Stages 3 and 4
Curriculum and Knowledge:
- Wide knowledge and understanding of Maths within the curriculum context and wider world
- Knowledge of current educational issues, an awareness of recent developments in the National Curriculum and changes in the Key Stage 4 curriculum
- Ability to use data effectively to support student progress
- Know and use a range of teaching and learning styles
- Show an awareness of what constitutes outstanding pedagogy and practice
- Evidence of further professional study
- Understand changes to exams and whole school accountability measures
If you are looking for a unique opportunity to work among bright, passionate and ambitious peers whilst being led by a visionary management team with an appetite for achieving great things then Sparx is for you.
Our diverse and vibrant team is growing fast! We’re not just developers, data scientist, product owners, content or education experts – we’re also cyclists, DJs, triathletes, published scholars, parents, pet owners, musicians, adventurers, and more. We bring our whole selves to work, and we’re united by our belief in the transformative power of learning and excitement about tackling the hard problems in technology.
Based in one of the best workspaces in the country, we set clear and challenging goals, collaborate together, celebrate success and have the opportunity to learn from each other every day. We encourage everyone to stretch beyond their roles and deliver on our mission to improve lives through education.
Closing date: 22nd March 2018
Interview date: Week commencing 26th March 2018