Job Purpose And Content
A Midday Supervisor is one of a team of school staff who are responsible for pupil supervision during the midday break. The postholder will be supervised on a day-to-day basis by a Senior Midday Supervisor and be managed by the headteacher.
During the midday break the Midday Supervisor will be responsible for:
· The transition of pupils from class to the dining hall and/or the school playground (or other designated areas during wet play) and back to class at the end of lunchtime
· Supervising and supporting pupils whilst they eat
· Promoting and supervising positive and active play and pupil relationships
· Health, safety, security and basic first aid (after relevant training)
· Pupil discipline and behaviour management.
Responsibilities And Role
1. The movement of pupils from their classrooms or the playground to the dining hall areas according to the schedules or timetables of the school and their return to the classrooms from the dining hall(s)/eating areas or the playground on time
2. The maintenance of good order and pupil discipline, which is consistent with the behaviour policy and the culture and ethos of the school. The postholder is expected to intervene where necessary and know when and how to refer relevant discipline and behaviour matters to more senior school staff
3. Dealing with minor accidents or injuries and administering routine first aid (after training) or referring the pupil to the designated first aider. Referring serious accidents or injuries to a senior member of staff
4. To report and bring to the attention of the relevant class teacher any serious incidents of pupil misbehaviour: to be aware of particular pupils and pupil relationships and to follow the strategies agreed with the teacher for addressing these pupils needs
5. Supervising pupils in the dining hall(s)/eating areas which may include:
· Organising the eating space and making sure the space is hygienic, clean and tidy before and after eating
· Organising the pupils before, during and after their meal
· Supporting pupils with particular needs
· Supporting the food selection and nutrition policy of the school
· Dealing with spillages including body fluids (in accordance with the procedures of the school)
· Supporting pupil hygiene and social skills
6. Supervising pupils in areas of the school designated for play (including for wet play), which will include:
· Monitoring safe activity, intervening as necessary
· Monitoring security – monitoring entry and exit from the school premises and challenging and reporting strangers where relevant
· Actively promoting and instigating positive play and games, joining in with pupils where relevant
· Being aware of and supporting the needs of particular children – encouraging socialisation and preventing bullying
7. Monitoring the toilet areas, addressing inappropriate behaviour, dealing with immediate issues and reporting to the schoolkeeper or other relevant person any damage or repairs required
8. Carrying out routine administration associated with the main duties of the post, which may include, for example, completing meals registers, receiving late payments and so forth
9. Dealing with complaints, enquiries and requests for information (that are within the remit of the postholder), and referring matters that cannot be resolved to the relevant person
10. To carry out the work of the job in a way that is consistent with the culture, ethos, equalities and inclusion policies of the school
11. To take appropriate action to identify, evaluate and minimise any risks to health, safety and security in the immediate working environment
12. To complete school based induction and any subsequent training required to improve performance and take part in the school performance management system (where relevant).
Parklands Junior is a large but friendly and inclusive school, with a busy and committed teaching team. The successful candidate would demonstrate the skills necessary to ensure the smooth running of the school including flexibility and initiative as detailed in the attached job profile.
We would welcome visits to the school which can be arranged via our school office, telephone number 01708 743404.
Please apply online. If you have not been contacted within 3 days of the closing date, your application has been unsuccessful.
Parklands Junior School is committed to safeguarding. A job offer will be subject to an enhanced DBS check and full references being obtained.