Reports to: Property Services Manager
Hours: 20 hours per week term time plus 2 weeks, may be required to
work some Saturdays
Salary: £8,610 p.a. (FTE £20,000)
Main Purpose of the Job:
Act as internal transport manager with full responsibility for the school fleet of minibuses, their safe driving and oversight of all school vehicle usage.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Driver administration: checking of drivers' licences annually, refer to the Bursar any drivers who do not comply with the school’s driver competency guidelines
• Ensuring that drivers are adequately trained and competent to operate relevant vehicles and equipment and that any discrepancies are investigated and dealt with promptly. Arrange and have delivered initial and refresher Midas-type training for staff as required and maintain the log of all Midas qualified drivers; send reminders well ahead to staff who require refresher training.
• Ensuring drivers comply with the driving hours rules; and where appropriate tachograph data is downloaded at the required intervals and that all records are retained and can be produced.
• Driver operations – ensuring drivers complete and return their driver defect report sheets and that defects are recorded correctly and cross checked.
• Vehicle management - ensuring that vehicles and trailers are kept in a fit and roadworthy condition, that defects are recorded and repaired promptly; to take vehicles and towed equipment for safety inspections, service, repair and statutory testing at the appropriate times and within the notified O-licence maintenance intervals; to liaise with maintenance contractors, manufacturers, hire companies as might be appropriate. Ensuring that vehicles and trailers are parked as appropriate when not in use.
• Conduct weekly checks of all school vehicles; ensure that fuel cards are provided for each vehicle and that all fuel tanks are filled for weekend use and check on Monday mornings.
• Vehicle administration - including ensuring that all maintenance is planned and executed at appropriate times for the school; vehicle maintenance records are retained as required and that operator licence discs are current and displayed correctly; tachograph calibrations are up to date and displayed, vehicles are appropriately insured and taxed; vehicles have emergency roadside cover with information in the vehicle together with all other appropriate information and safety equipment; all vehicles have current fuel cards.
• Organising vehicle cleaning in conjunction with Facilities, or possibly using a local service provider
• Oversee the vehicle booking administration, the booking schedules of all school vehicles, assisting with the hiring of alternative vehicles as required
• Manage, audit and review compliance systems to ensure that they are effective
• Review any shortcomings such as prohibitions and/or annual test failures
• Keep up to date with relevant changes in standards and legislation
• Ensuring Section 19 is in place and act on any relevant changes in accordance with the Section 19 Permit requirements
• Liaise with the Assistant Bursar on any relevant insurance matters
• Anything else reasonably required by the Line Manager or Bursar.
Qualifications and experience:
• Full clean UK driving licence held for a minimum of 2 years (essential)
• D1 category for minibuses or has held a licence since before 1 January 2007 (essential)
• Proven experience of light commercial driving (essential)
• It is a legal requirement that applicants are over 21 years of age for insurance purposes (essential)
• Experience of working within a similar environment (desirable)
• Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
• Excellent organisational skills
• Excellent customer service skills
• Good communication skills – written and verbal
• Ability to prioritise work
Gordon’s School is a State Boarding and Day School and is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment – applicants must be willing to undergo appropriate screening including a DBS check.
For more details please visit out website: www.gordons.school/vacancies.
To apply please complete the application form below and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org