St Mary’s Calne offers an academically enriching working environment within the beautiful Wiltshire countryside, with easy transport links to Bristol, Bath and London
St Mary’s Calne is a member of the Girls’ Schools Association (GSA) and the Headmasters’ and Headmistress’ Conference (HMC); it is a leader in the field of girls’ independent boarding education. It has around 360 girls aged 11-18, including 120+ girls in the Sixth Form. As well as innovative teaching, learning and scholarship, St Mary’s Calne offers outstanding pastoral care and a vibrant, warm community.
St Mary’s Calne believes in excellence in all respects. As a school community, we thrive amidst a culture of strong expectations and the education which we provide nurtures and develops the concept of high performance. The principal aim is to develop well-rounded pupils who are equipped to excel as adults.
Extra-curricular opportunities beyond the classroom are a vital and integral part of life for girls at St Mary’s Calne. These opportunities are woven into the timetable during the day, in the evenings and at weekends. We believe that both boarders and day girls benefit from all aspects of the strong boarding ethos of the school.
An exciting opportunity has become available within our outstanding Music Department for an accomplished keyboard player to join us as Organist for the academic year 2021-2022.
The Organist will play the organ each weekday morning in Chapel, teach 1:1 piano and organ lessons and make a positive contribution to the delivery of Music throughout the school, both academically and as part of an exciting extra-curricular Music programme.
The Music Department is based in a purpose-built block which is well equipped with instruments, PCs, up to date teaching resources and a recording studio. In addition to curriculum music, around 75% of pupils take individual instrument or singing lessons and there are currently around 20 Music and Choral Scholars.
Music holds an important place at the heart of St Mary’s Calne featuring prominently in events such as Confirmation, Carol Service and Founders’ Day. The department works to develop individual talents, while seeking to bring the whole community together through music. Each year there is a vigorous programme of concerts and events, and a number of collaborations with other prestigious institutions regularly feature.
Ideally, the successful candidate will take on some boarding duties and in exchange for this, suitable accommodation including bills and meals during term time will be provided.
What we want from you
• University graduate with a good honors degree.
• Excellent sight-reading skills at the piano and organ.
• An empathetic, enthusiastic and well-presented person, capable of inspiring confidence in pupils, parents and staff.
• Ability to: work flexibly to fulfil the requirements of the post; prioritise; work calmly under pressure and respond positively to changing demands.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with very good written and spoken English.
• Excellent organisational and time management skills; competency in the use of ICT for administration and teaching purposes.
• An understanding of the expectations, ethos and aims of a full boarding school.
• Committed to the safeguarding and wellbeing of children and young people.
• Experience of teaching 1:1 piano or organ lessons (desirable).
• Holder of ARCO or FRCO qualification (desirable).
What we offer
• Excellent and tailored CPD within the department and across the school
• Highly motivated girls with lessons taught in small groups
• Competitive salary and membership of the school Pension Scheme
• Discounted membership of the St Mary’s Calne Sports Centre
• Fee remission for daughters educated at St Mary’s Calne and for sons and daughters educated at St Margaret’s Preparatory School
• Complimentary meals in the Dining Hall during term time
• Free on-site parking
How to Apply
Telephone: 01249 857200 (Karen Turner)
Closing date: Midday, Tuesday 8th June 2021
St Mary's Calne
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- Secondary School
- Girls school with students of age 11 - 18 years
St Mary’s Calne is an independent boarding and day school for girls aged 11-18, a happy, purposeful and flourishing community of around 360 pupils with a 80% to 20% boarding to day ratio.
Founded in 1873, the school has been providing an outsta...