This diverse role needs a patient, calm and empathetic person, who also has the ability to engage young people and motivate them to achieve. We are currently recruiting for roles within the Trafford LEA. Vision for Education are providing bespoke support to students who have special educational needs and looked after children. Many of the young people we are commissioned to work with currently have gaps in their education and have disengaged from work with educational professionals.
Responsibilities associated with the role:
• To meet with the assigned student and build up a positive, professional and long-lasting relationship;
• To plan and deliver 1-2-1 mentoring/support sessions with identified students on a range of subjects that may be preventing them from being able to access education;
• To plan and deliver a wide range of extra-curricular activities around the Trafford area that the student has been involved in which promote learning, good behaviour, better social skills and well-being;
• To update all parties involved with the care and education of the young person on their progress and achievements;
• To ensure your line Manager is informed immediately of any concerns in relation to the students you mentor/support;
• To report any safeguarding or child protection concerns immediately to key contacts (social worker etc) involved in the care for each young person;
• To provide in class support for named students during re-integration into school;
• To attend professionals meetings and those that are specifically in relation to the students that you mentor/support;
• To maintain accurate records of attendance, progress and target monitoring for the student/s you are supporting and feed back to your line manager regularly;
• To provide regular written reports on the pupil’s progress and achievements each week in order to review practices and provide evidence to support plans for pupil’s education in the short/long term.
This role requires you to be flexible and adaptable. If you are looking to work in a challenging and fast paced role where no two days are the same, where you are positively making a difference to young people Vision for Education would like to hear from you. Pupils are allocated to us on a referral basis, therefore hours can be flexible up to 25 hours per week. It may be that you will be working a number of students within the Trafford LEA or surrounding areas.
To apply you must be eligible to work in the UK and meet all national safeguarding criteria. It is essential that the Learning Mentor:
• Has experience and knowledge of working with vulnerable young people;
• Have experience of implementing a variety of de-escalation strategies in challenging situations involving young people;
• Have work experience of working with pupils with special educational needs or challenging behaviours;
• Has an understanding of how to implement strategies as identified in a pupils EHCP/ IBP/IEP.
What we can offer you:
Industry leading free CPD in courses such as Team Teach, Mental Health Awareness, Safeguarding and child protection.
Friendly and knowledgeable staff with experience of work with Looked after children.
Ability to work in a variety of diverse environments as a learning mentor.