Marlborough College Malaysia opened in 2012 and is a British day and boarding school for pupils aged 4-18 years. The school currently comprises a Pre-Prep, Preparatory and Senior School and is situated in 90 acres in the Iskandar region of Malaysia, close to Johor Bahru, Malaysia’s second city and a 50minute drive to the centre of Singapore.
There are six boarding Houses, (4 boys and 2 girls), 4 Senior (13-18yrs) and 2 Junior (10-12yrs). It currently has 880 pupils over the three schools.
The School is a genuine expansion of Marlborough College in the UK and is managed and governed by a number of people who have a strong association with Marlborough UK.
Job title: Performing Arts Technical Specialist
Reports to: Head of Drama
Background and Introduction to the role
The school is seeking to employ a qualified technician for the Performing Arts Department. The school operates Drama and Music facilities catering for specialist lessons. The Performing Arts Department also produce Musical productions, plays, and both choral and orchestral performances for pupils across the school.
• To work closely with the Performing Arts teachers
• To manage, maintain and develop expertise with all performing arts equipment:
• To work with pupils in class when required by teacher
• To liaise with the Design Technology and Art Technicians for the productions of sets
• To assist with making collages of show photos and creating programmes.
• To assist with identifying & purchasing of resources
Candidates will ideally demonstrate
• Proven experience as a technician
• Willingness to learn and develop
• Ability to plan ahead and manage the needs of a range of teachers
• Calmness under pressure and outstanding administrative organisation
Telephone and written references will be checked to ensure candidates can demonstrate the essential qualities described above.
• Candidate must possess at least minimum a Diploma/Professional Certificate in Art/Design/Creative Multimedia, Music/Performing Arts Studies or extensive practical lighting experience
• A portfolio of projects, work or productions
• Outstanding interpersonal skills, as well as excellent verbal and written communications skills.
• The candidate must possess integrity, loyalty, caring, patience, assertive and proactive behaviour.
• Ability to uphold the traditions and promote the ethos of Marlborough College Malaysia.
• Applicants must be willing to work in Malaysia
• Set design & construction of the stage and align with the performance show themes
• At least 3 years of working experience in a related technical area
Hours of Work
Marlborough College Malaysia is a boarding school and so operates during term time. Normal working hours are 8.00am – 5.00pm, Monday to Friday, with a one hour lunch break.
There is a requirement to work some evenings and weekends for productions and rehearsals.
Remunerations and benefits
The position is for 36 weeks term time, following the academic calendar year of the College.
The remuneration package includes a competitive salary depending on the working experience and the salary range from RM60,000 –RM90,000 pa( approximately ₤10,900 - ₤16,350 pa). In addition there is a 15% bonus paid after the year end. The full time salary equivalent is approximately ₤15,850 - ₤23,800, including the bonus.
Accommodation will be provided for free on the campus for the full calendar year, and during term time the dining hall is available for breakfast, lunch and dinner, free of charge. The school facilities, sports hall, gym, swimming pool etc are available for use when not timetabled for pupils.
Health insurance will be provided.
To be considered for the position applications must comprise a completed application form with photograph resume and covering letter.
All applications should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, the closing date for applications is 15 December 2017. Interviews with shortlisted candidates will take place during January 2018.
Marlborough College Malaysia is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. We will conduct extensive background checks on all successful applicants. All adults in the College community are expected to follow the College’s Child Protection Procedures, and any contracts offered are subject to satisfactory references, full employment history and DBS check / Good Conduct Certificate as appropriate.