Surbiton High School seeks a dynamic and outstanding Personal Mentor.
Surbiton High School is a friendly and vibrant community where people matter, results count and where a passion for excellence drives everything we do. Our inspirational Educational Support Staff are the backbone of the School, and are dedicated to supporting our aim of creating an intellectually rigorous and challenging academic environment - a place where a passion and energy abound, a school with a real heart and soul, and where every pupil and staff member can flourish.
Reporting Line: School Counsellor
Tenure: Permanent, full-time hours, part-time weeks (38 weeks of the year)
- To support pupils in developing strategies to enhance well-being and to develop coping strategies
- To work with pupils who are in need of more support than can currently be provided by tutors and Heads of Year. This may include pupils who:
- have low attendance
- lack of self-confidence, self-esteem or motivation
- are failing to achieve their full potential
- have behavioural or emotional difficulties
- have personal difficulties
- In conjunction with the School Counsellor, to develop one-to-one mentoring relationships with pupils
- To meet with each pupil for one registration and one 1:1 session per week or more as required
- To develop action plans for pupils and monitor their progress
- To work closely with parents to understand the whole picture of the pupil’s life
- To work closely with teachers, tutors and the Learning Enrichment Team to ensure everyone understands and supports the strategies being used to promote learning and personal development.
- As required, to help pupils re-integrate into School following periods of absence
- To provide support for pupils with eating disorders
- To keep accurate and up to date records for pupils being mentored
- To carry out any such duties as may be reasonably requested
The successful candidate will be likely to fit the following profile:
- Have an understanding of the nature of emotional needs of young women and the skills and habits required to succeed
- Have a strong feeling of empathy towards the pupils
- Good communication and listening skills
- A confident and positive outlook
- A flexible and creative approach to solving problems
- The ability to interact with people and work as part of a team
- High levels of personal and professional integrity and the ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality
- Personal warmth to gain the confidence and trust of pupils, staff and parents
- High standards of personal presence and presentation and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate concisely and sensitively, both orally and in writing, to a variety of audiences
- Commitment to the school ethos of promoting the best in everyone
- A healthy sense of humour
Please apply online by clicking on the following:
Closing date: 8:00am, Monday 16 September 2019
Interviews to be held week commencing: 23 September 2019
Surbiton High School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Please note that the School reserves the right to appoint at any stage during the recruitment process.
For any queries relating to the role or your application, please email email@example.com