The Pre-School German Teacher is responsible for German language learning creating a rich learning environment that promotes student learning and optimum personal growth, according to age, ability and aptitude. He or she establishes an effective rapport with students and motivates them to develop the skills, attitudes and knowledge required for language learning. He or she establishes good relationships with parents and works as a part of a collaborative learning team.
- Teach German in Pre-School in line with the IB PYP philosophy.
- Plan and prepare learning engagements supporting the needs of students with a variety of language, learning and social needs.
- Motivate children’s language learning through meaningful and creative language learning opportunities.
- Support student’s learning through the effective use of technology.
- Research, develop, purchase and adapt learning resources to support language inquiries.
- Use a range of assessments to inform learning and teaching.
- Monitor and document a child’s progress
- Work with students to develop goals
- Measure and report on student achievement.
- Acknowledge and celebrate the cultural diversity of the school population.
- Advocate for German language learning in the Primary School.
- Provide pastoral care and provide students with a secure learning environment during all activities both inside and outside the school.
- Create and maintain a safe, stimulating and informative learning environment where language inquiries thrive.
- Maintain a positive approach supporting the school’s policies and strategic plan.
- Assist in the planning and organizing of field trips as required.
- Liaise within the German Language Team to ensure that programme requirements are met.
- Plan collaboratively with the PYP coordinator and the German language department.
- Keep parents informed about their child’s progress and learning through formal and informal dialogue.
- Prepare for and attend Parent/Teacher and Student-led conferences.
- Attend meetings for planning and administration.
- Attend in-service training and professional development workshops.
- Keep up to date with developments in the profession and study relevant professional literature.
- Engage in professional reflective practice and goal setting in accordance with the school’s policy.
- Support in ExtraCurricular Activities to enhance the school experience for students.
- Assist, as requested, with cover of classes for absent colleagues.
- Current teacher qualification (preferably recognized by EDK).
- Native German speaker is an advantage.
- PYP experience (preferred).
- Experience in teaching learners with diverse needs.
- Good command of English language, in writing and speech.
- IT competence.
- The applicant must demonstrate knowledge of the developmental needs of children of 3-6 years.
- Empathy and social skills.
- Collaboration, teamwork and active participation in school life.
Terms and conditions
The initial contract is for two years and is renewable. The generous salary and range of benefits will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate, with the overall package reflecting the importance of the position.
Interested candidates should email a full letter of application, a statement of personal educational philosophy, detailed resume/curriculum vitae, and three referees. The Head of School reserves the right to apply directly to the writers of open testimonials for confidential statements.
Applications should be addressed to:
Ms Mary-Lyn Campbell,
Head of School
We are looking forward to receiving your online application.
ICS Inter-Community School Zurich
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through School
- Students of age 1 - 18 years